Let's Remember Some Beers (In Memoriam: Old Whales)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do people other than box_social still care about the old c&c La Folie bottles? Also what's the hierarchy of rarity on those, something like:

1. Falling Rock 10th Anniversary
2. Bottleworks 10th Anniversary
3. oldest vintages ('02-'05 I think?)
4. "newer" vintages ('06-'09?)

or nah?
They are releasing it c&c again this year. I assume it’s pasturized so I don’t know what the point is.

Hah, found a pic of that:

4103181527_a0af6796c2.jpg

And an old whale tasting pic (Dec 2009):
27285340557_c8a01319b7_o.jpg

What's the bottle with what looks like a handwritten paper label.

Also which CCB bottle is that? It's interesting how all kinds of old CCB bottles were rare/desired back in the day and now I don't think many people about any of them, and certainly not about anything that isn't a Hunahpu/Zhukov variant.

Do people other than box_social still care about the old c&c La Folie bottles? Also what's the hierarchy of rarity on those, something like:

or nah?

schwartzoid

or nah?
09 was the best tasting one as of a few years ago with a lot of cherry notes still intact; the others were at that vinegar stage and less than desirable, IMO.

Izzy was excellent back when I finally got to try it in 2015. A bottle was opened at a big share a few months ago in Miami that I showed up late for and I just missed getting a pour. Which was no big deal since I'd had it, but I was definitely curious how it was doing.

Had a bottle about a year ago and still excellent.

The last time they filled Pliny the Younger growlers, I had a good (& flaky!) trading buddy get a fill for me. Kept the growler because it's really cool.

Trade involved all sorts of oldy-time heavy hitters: Darkness, Surly Four, Founders Nemesis, Parabola, FiftyFifty Eclipses, Supplication, Firestone Walker Anniversary beer...was good!

2zyzxn8.jpg

You take that picture with your beard, or were our phone cameras really that bad back then?

Also, if this is seguing into "old whales you never got to tick but really wanted to" Wooden Hell is probably at the top of my list (ignoring all the numerous "are they really any different?" lambics like Selectie C etc).

IIRC B1 was an employees & friends only batch, and all of the others were wide release.

About three years ago I had 2 and 3. 3 was actually tasting pretty good, nutty, not too sour, etc.. But yea b1 was either friends and family or onsite only and small bottle count.

What's the bottle with what looks like a handwritten paper label.

Also which CCB bottle is that? It's interesting how all kinds of old CCB bottles were rare/desired back in the day and now I don't think many people about any of them, and certainly not about anything that isn't a Hunahpu/Zhukov variant.
That's the original batch of Guava Grove... I don't think it was very rare, I got it in some beer of the month club box. It also wasn't very good.

Yeah I've seen those before (several make good material for this thread too), but what I'd really like to see are screenshots of the comments from the White Whale BIF IV thread, which is apparently where things got really lit. Overlord was looking for them at one point on old hard drives but couldn't find it.

The last time they filled Pliny the Younger growlers, I had a good (& flaky!) trading buddy get a fill for me. Kept the growler because it's really cool.

Trade involved all sorts of oldy-time heavy hitters: Darkness, Surly Four, Founders Nemesis, Parabola, FiftyFifty Eclipses, Supplication, Firestone Walker Anniversary beer...was good!

2zyzxn8.jpg
09 Nemesis!!! I totally forgot about that beer!

I used to go pretty hard in the paint for DFH stuff. B1 Festina Peche, Liquor de Malt, Z'wanndenale, Wrath of Pecant, Poppaskull/Popskull, etc. Festina Lente and Au Courant are still the ones that got away though. One of my first trades was an OG BCBS Rare for a box of vintage DFH turds. And I had purchased that beer plus an OG Vanilla for $90 shipped on ebay. MSRP...on eBay, in 2010.
pFkMZ5O.jpg

w3AqWxg.jpg

BiQ83un.jpg

hJ15X6j.jpg

cfRMSeg.jpg

KV3W979.jpg

or nah?
I care but the bottles (even newer) started oxidizing noticably a few years back in my local bottle share group.

08’ was my fave.

They are releasing it c&c again this year. I assume it’s pasturized so I don’t know what the point is.
I never got an answer regarding whether those C&C Oscar/Felix 375s they released last year were pasteurized (or that nuts $50 geisha coffee version)

Still turding shelves here. That $50 Beer will be on shelves till the end of time.

i tried harder to trade for peconic than any other beer. i never got it. the one that got away :(

I really hate to be that guy, but when it was freshish (2011/2012ish) I got a very large pour of it from our buddy Carleton (SpdKilz) at oreo and drewba's place in Naperville. Was one of the beers that turned me into the saison / farmhouse nerd I am today.

This thread is also making me think of friends from the old days who aren't active in the "community" anymore, or sadly are no longer with us...

Festina Lente
Somehow had that one in 2014 and it was baaaaad. Definitely don't go after it now.
i tried harder to trade for peconic than any other beer. i never got it. the one that got away :(
It was the same for my wife and she managed to get one, though I have no record of it on our trading spreasdsheet so I have no idea what the cost was.

I really hate to be that guy, but when it was freshish (2011/2012ish) I got a very large pour of it from our buddy Carleton (SpdKilz) at oreo and drewba's place in Naperville. Was one of the beers that turned me into the saison / farmhouse nerd I am today.

This thread is also making me think of friends from the old days who aren't active in the "community" anymore, or sadly are no longer with us...
yeah, i never really heard anything else from anyone who had it.

oh well

:(

Don't remember the full story, but it was a Quad aged in Red Wine Barrels with Sour Cherries added to it that I believe Peter Hooey brewed for his daughter's birthday.

I remember when I finally got to taste it with Dunt and dvelcich quite a few years ago, and it was spectacular. Tasted like Three Philosophers with a much bigger body and richer finish and was absurdly complex.

I remember when I used to trade IrishGurl4 (pretty sure that was her handle on BA) for full 12 bottle cases of Odonata Saison as well...
It seemed like any time people ran into Hoey in the last few years, he would pop bottles of Rorie's. It was exceedingly rare and seemed completely unattainable even for a Odonata Saison fanboy at the time.

Ugh, I also traded for Guava Grove back in the day.

RIP oreo

We’ve had two friends from our Austin bottleshare group (that has met every 1st Sunday for 10+ years) that have passed...

Both times we got every beer in their cellar, drank them, and pretended they were on their way and would be sooo pissed when they found out we didn’t invite them with their families as a memorial.

I think I also ticked that bottle. All I can remember was being surprised at how good it was.

I wonder what the legacy of that beer will be, y'know? It was an epic saison that pretty much disappeared before the Farmhouse Bandwagon really got into town. Is it going to be a ghost story that Serious Knowers tell eachother by the fire?

Latest posts

Back