Let´s make nuruk from scratch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg_anderson

Reaction score
Since I love Korea and live no way near it I've figured out I want to start making makgeolli myself. I see a lot of discussions on how to make it here, but nobody is talking about making the nuruk themselfs.

From what I can gather it's just a dry sourdough starter but instead of just lacto and yeast it produces Aspergillus oryzae, a fungus that also eats sugar.

Shouldn't be that hard!

1. make a patty of crushed whole wheat
2. let it sit at warm temperature (35-40 C) for 15 days
3. turn every 2-3 days
4. dust off mold and dry in warm ventilated place
5. crumble and make makgeolli

I have my first one sitting on top of my 40 C livingroom oven right now.
Will post again after 15 days and let you know what happened.

But if you know something, say something!
And if you want to join me in finding out if this works, read the links and try it out with me.

Recipe:
http://cheotsool.blogspot.no/p/making-drinking-and-enjoying-makgeolli.html

Facts:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23314366

PS. I'd love some more links on making it if you can find it. Not too much info out there. This is the internet god damn it, let's fill this info-hole!

well, with luck will have the nuruk solved... a bit tricky but doable, involves knowing how to culture Aspergilis oryzae koji mold and Bacillis subtilis bacteria too, plus some Asian grain yeasts, so those I do all the time, and combining my Asian ferment knowledge into a workable system is all... plus using Bulgar wheat so didn't have to do the grain from scratch... so far so good.. took a few days to assemble all those steps into something workable, but shall see fairly soon if it all worked out. ...Ancient Chinese secrets! lol ;)

Why is it so hard to find the yeasy balls in the koren and asian stores etc. and the Nuruk also Why is already made Makolli also hard to find?
IN NYC ?

Looks like OP is gone?

I tried making nuruk a while back. One problem I encountered was controlling humidity. Uncovered in coastal California weather (40-55% humidity), no fungus will grow. Yet, enclosing the fermenting nuruk in a plastic box (100% humidity) allows a lot of fungal growth with thick patches of fruiting bodies in many colors.

Even though the nuruk recipes I can find online don't specify humidity control, it's clearly an important part of the process. Perhaps fermenting in a cardboard box as Maangchi suggests would do the trick.

Temperature control via fermwrap and temperature controller, naturally.

I make nuruk but use a collection of Aspergillus oryzae strains and Rhisopus orzyae strains, plus the Bacillus subtilist bacterial spores, then a particular yeast I only found in Asia for even bread making. For the wheat, I pre-soaked, pressure steamed and dehydrated before making a rough ground wheat flour from a softer variety of wheat than normal... sort of same as a bulgur wheat actually... such a combination results in a closer selection of micro organisms as found in lab analysis of ones in Korea... I also do part of the process in a box. Now I do it in a built into the kitchen cabinets Japanese muro as then I can control every aspect of a culture with humidity, airflow, and temps... Humidity is the critical thing though as one can make nuruk somewhat peculiar to one's own environment and available bacterial or mold species and yeasts, wherever you are without getting too technical.

Ok, it seems like you are reconstituting a nuruk from pure cultures? That seems like it would work, for sure. But is it really nuruk?

Korean nuruk is not inoculated with any cultured microorganisms. Everything comes from the wheat, water, straw, and the fermentation chamber (which likely contains spores from the previous nuruk). None of the fungi, bacteria, or yeast are isolated down to pure cultures. In this way it is like lambic and gueuze. You can make a great sour beer from pure cultures, but it ain't lambic unless it's spontaneously fermented.

Also the wheat for Korean nuruk is not pressure steamed -- this will kill many of the microorganisms present in the wheat that are required for the nuruk.

What is unclear is the correct conditions for the ferment. I was hoping someone could describe a fermentation chamber that will regulate humidity correctly. When you say you use a box, do you mean cardboard? When you use your humidity-control cabinets, what is the humidity inside them during a nuruk ferment?

well, basically what I do is same as what is now done in Korea... a standardized nuruk... which re-populates itself, even 'steamed' as is even done in some regions traditionally anyway... there are hundreds of nuruk variances made in Korea... btw... I live in Asia, so mingle with the people who do this all the time... but when in Canada, I have a different environment to work with as each bacterial and fungal species have huge regional differences. So if one wishes to make an actual Korean Nuruk of a specific taste, one would have to make it right on the spot using exactly what the local nurul person uses at same time, etc.. to actually be totally 'authentic', however.... move over a province and it would be different again! So what one does or makes it with is still nuruk! it just gets down to localized species anyway... Humidity and temperature is the only thing we can control somewhat. Humidity and temperature control is of paramount importance when it comes to working with any fungi.

where I am to make enough for a good batch would cost just over $70.00 for just the nuruk... 6 dollars might get one a glassfull....

yes, if you live in USA.... I dont so is expensive, the shipping is massive part of the cost too...

would seem that given you have no control over what microbial flora settles on the starter by producing nuruk the traditional way, (same problem as trying to emulate the Flemish brouwhuis with its endemic collection of wild yeasts) that making a wheat and rice flour sour dough using some nuruk as the starter for that, would be much more sensible work round

The sour dough could also be frozen. Technique is used in France for pàte fermentée. Admittedly for breadmaking but the biotechnology is the same

Yes, the biotechnology if "Almost" the same to a point... But, now we are dealing with "Parallel Fermentation" with this Asian method... not regular, where the sourdough type idea works just fine for the pàte fermentée which is traditional one path yeast or bacterial fermentation... ;)

Why is it so hard to find the yeasy balls in the koren and asian stores etc. and the Nuruk also Why is already made Makolli also hard to find?
IN NYC ?

Not too hard to find for me. I get it from eBay seller jak1010. Always has it and cheap. Never made or used Nuruk but the rice wine is awesome.

Some day I'll have to try finding already make Makolli just to see if I like it. If so, maybe I'll try making it at home along with all of my other homebrew items.

I've been to Korea about 6-7 times. I like makkoli and dongdongju (FYI: dong = ****,). DDJ is unfiltered Makkoli that still has rice particles floating around in it.

Soju is also pretty good. More like a light vodka. My last time in Korea was 2010 and I have some soju in the fridge right now.

would seem that given you have no control over what microbial flora settles on the starter by producing nuruk the traditional way, (same problem as trying to emulate the Flemish brouwhuis with its endemic collection of wild yeasts) that making a wheat and rice flour sour dough using some nuruk as the starter for that, would be much more sensible work round

Indeed, there is nothing "Belgian" about the yeast and bacteria found in lambic. Have you seen Cantillon? It's in a dirty Brussels suburb with trash on the street. Likewise, I imagine there is nothing particularly "Korean" about traditional nuruk. I bet you can entirely recreate it with the microbes present wherever you live.

If I can get on a soapbox for a bit, the idea that microbes are different in different parts of the world is a bit of an anthropomorphization of microbes. We think that because people are different around the world, microbes must be as well. But think about it -- microbes have been around for billions of years longer than us. There has been more than enough time for their populations to become homogenized across the globe. And, these microbes experience a much smaller environment than we do. Expect the main differences in microbes to be between soil and lake, gut and skin, rather than between Europe, America, and Asia.

That said, there should be a huge difference between a ferment that is reconstituted from purified microbes and a complex mixture of species, like that found in nuruk. In any microbial community, only a few of the species can be cultured. The majority can only be detected by newer methods of DNA sequencing. Attempting to make a gueuze or makkeolli from anything other than a complex mixture (whether started yourself or propagated from a pre-existing ferment) is likely to yield a different result.

Hey! Great to see that I'm not alone in my intent to grow nuruk at home!
I was wondering if it was possible to inoculate with store-bought nuruk? The question there is: are the molds in the dried nuruk still alive?

Just a quick comment to @homebrewer_99 : Dong (동) doesn't mean ****. You must have mixed it up with ddong (똥). Also it is not dong (1x) but dongdong in dongdongju. dongdong is an onomatopoeic term for bouncing up and down or floating (and ju means alcohol), so you could translate it to alcohol with bouncy/floaty stuff in it ;) (wow...there is too much dong in this section...)

Here is a brief description of the very traditional and very old practice of making nuruk. Note that this is essentially the same steps as the farmhouse practice of making soybean cakes from cooked soybeans (the pressed wrapped cakes are called Meju in Korea) and then wrapping the cakes in rice straw and suspending them from the farmhouse rafters to slowly mold and dry out for later use in making soy sauce and miso pastes. Different substrates and somewhat different microorganisms but the same basic practice for both soy sauce and makgeolli. From the sci lit reference posted by the OP, it strongly appears that Korean nuruk sold for household use is still made the traditional way as the composition of microflora is highly variable. The commercial makgeolli sold in plastic bottles is another story and appears to be a highly manipulated fermentation and many commercial makgeolli makers include aspartame as a non-nutritive sweetener that will not be consumed by the still active cultures. Plus they are free to add artificial flavors and color. There are still traditional makgeolli makers who make their own nuruk on site and ferment the makgeolli using all traditional methods and ingredients.

Nuruk is made from wheat or barley that is coarsely ground although I have heard of a green bean nuruk that may or may not be made of soybeans or asian long beans. The ground wheat is then wet and tightly packed into molds to make a hard cake. In the past people would stomp on the wheat to make it compact and while some brewers still use this method most nuruk producers will mechanically compress the nuruk into cakes. The nuruk is then wrapped in straw and allowed to incubate for about a week. This allows yeasts and molds from the environment to proliferate throughout the wheat cake. Next, the nuruk is dried in the sun and broken up for use in the brewing process.

The use of wheat or rice straw to hold in moisture and provide a rich source of spores is likely very important to the final quality of the nuruk as most all of the traditional solid alkaline ferments start by wrapping the cooked starch pastes with a thick layer of straw and that straw provides a rich source of spores to actively ferment the starch paste. Note this fermentation is generally slow and aerobic in nature while the secondary liquid fermentation is much more anaerobic, although the unglazed pottery Onggi if used are claimed to breath compared to plastic or metal fermentation vessels. Fermenting makgeolli in traditional Onggi unglazed pottery is not widely performed today but would make for a pirized batch and beautiful presentation.

The OP posted a link to a research article with some very valuable info on just what is to be found inside your nuruk. The reserachers analyzed 42 samples of nuruk from various regions of Korea provinces and were not able to ascertain a regional variability in the microflora. Also important to note that a significant portion, 13 out of 42 nuruk, contained foodborne pathogens such as B. cereus or Cronobacter sakazakii. It appears that these pathogenic bacteria do not grow in the glutinous rice culture media or the rice wine would make you very sick when consumed.

That right there tells you that most nuruk sold to households are being prepared using an traditional approach (at least two thousand years of rice wine making history and probably closer to 9 thousand year tradition of rice wine making in China). They are not inoculating with pure cultures as no business would inculate with such a wide range of variable "pure cultures" as a business practice. To continue with their findings:

There were various species of lactic acid bacteria such as Enterococcus faecium and Pediococcus pentosaceus in nuruk. It was unexpectedly found that only 13 among the 42 nuruk samples contained Aspergillus oryzae, the representative saccharifying fungi in makgeolli, whereas a fungi Lichtheimia corymbifera was widely distributed in nuruk. It was also found that Pichia jadinii was the predominant yeast strain in most nuruk, but the representative alcohol fermentation strain, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, was isolated from only 18 out of the 42 nuruk. These results suggested that a variety of species of fungi and yeast were distributed in nuruk and involved in the fermentation of makgeolli. In this study, a total of 64 bacterial species, 39 fugal species, and 15 yeast species were identified from nuruk. Among these strains, 37 bacterial species, 20 fungal species, and 8 yeast species were distributed less than 0.1%.

One very important concept when comparing pure culture isolates to "wild culture technique" is the concept of natural succession. In natural winemaking, natural yeast are not inoculated by pitching a pure culture into the grape must before fermentation. By utilizing the natural microflora on the grape skins and stems a certain amount of wild yeast and bacteria are already present to start the fermentation. If you follow along by trying to identify the dominant cultures as the fermentation progresses, the dominant yeast at the end of the fermentation is always S cerevisiae. But this yeast is usually not identifiable in sufficient numbers at early time points as it is not the first or fastest out of the starting block. Many different yeast and bacteria can come along to dominate at early fermentation time points until the alcohol and acid levels increase to the point where only S. cerevisiae can survive. So both the pure culture method of pitching S. cerevisiae and the natural methods have the same endpoint with S. cerevisiae dominating but only one method actually includes pitching pure culture of the yeast strain. It is claimed by the natural winemaking crowd that the intermediate strains contribute flavors and aromas that add complexity to the final wine and basically the same claims would be made by the proponents of using natural nuruk to make makgeolli. Of course you do run the risk of a failed batch of expensive wine, so most large scale wine makers do not employ such methods today as the risk to reward is not great enough to risk a spoiled batch of expensive wine. Smaller producers do employ such methods and many do find customers willing to pay more for such traditional winemaking. Much the same can be said for traditional Sake makers and Korean makgeolli merchants.

In the case of nuruk, the yeasts and bacteria present at levels of only 0.1% in the wheat cake may become dominant in the final rice wine as they find the medium to be much more conducive to growth than the dry wheat cake under warm aerobic conditions. The aerobic fungi will contribute exocellular enzymes like starch amylase but will not grow at all in the cooked rice medium as it quickly becomes anaerobic with the rapid CO2 evolution pushing out all the available oxygen. Those are growth conditions that certain yeast and LAB will thrive in.

Another important factor is feeding makgeolli with multiple rounds of cooked glutinous rice after fermentation has really taken off. You start with one nuruk cake and proceed to add batches of cooked glutinous rice after each peak in fermentation has occured. This first addition is called mitsool and all subsequent stages are known as dotsools. Depending on your recipe you have any where from one to four (sometimes even more) dotsools. In each one of these stages, the initial wild microflora found on the nuruk cake is forced to adapt to the increasing amounts of ethyl alcohol and lower pH created by LAB. This is what makes the process sanitary and clean. It's like the multiple feedings in maintaining a sourdough culture and keeps the culture strong and in log growth phase.

In the mitsool stage you will add rice, water, and nuruk. Main thing to note is that the rice you add at this stage will be ground rice prepared using a wide variety of techniques. When you grind and cook the rice you are allowing the amylose and amylopectin in the rice to break down into simple sugars that yeasts can easily consume and convert into alcohol. You want to produce a lot of alcohol at the start of the brewing process. This increase in alcohol, along with a reduction in pH by other bacteria, will help prevent any contamination in your brew.

After a few days you can add more rice and sometimes water (it depends on the recipe) and at this step you have made a dotsool. A brew that had one mitsool and one dotsool is called an eeyangju, or a two stage recipe. If two dotsools are made then it is a samyangju, three stage recipe. Usually, recipes don’t go beyond three stages however there is one popular cheongju called Cheonbihyang that uses a five stage, oyangju, recipe. There is even a recipe that has up to twelve stages.

The rice that is added can either be steamed rice or ground rice. Adding rice that has been ground and cooked will give the yeast more simple sugars to keep making alcohol. Steamed rice is only added to the last dotsool. At this point you don’t need to make more alcohol you just need to break down the amylose and amylopectin in the rice with enzymes produced by fungi. This slow breakdown of starches to sugars will add sweetness to the final product. This process takes time and a good brew isn’t filtered until a few weeks after the last dotsool is added.

Also one thing I didn’t mention about mitsool is that if you stop there the brew is called a dangyangju. However only certain recipes are danyangjus and they risk contamination if not done right. A samyangju is a really great brew to master. It’s not too long, there is less risk of contamination, and it gives reliable results.

Hey! Great to see that I'm not alone in my intent to grow nuruk at home!
I was wondering if it was possible to inoculate with store-bought nuruk? The question there is: are the molds in the dried nuruk still alive?

Just a quick comment to @homebrewer_99 : Dong (동) doesn't mean ****. You must have mixed it up with ddong (똥). Also it is not dong (1x) but dongdong in dongdongju. dongdong is an onomatopoeic term for bouncing up and down or floating (and ju means alcohol), so you could translate it to alcohol with bouncy/floaty stuff in it ;) (wow...there is too much dong in this section...)

I can only relate the story as it was told to me..."dong means ****". I wasn't told it was "2 dongs", but if you say so....OK. Also, I know "ju" is alcohol, but thanks anyway.

Here is a brief description of the very traditional and very old practice of making nuruk. Note that this is essentially the same steps as the farmhouse practice of making soybean cakes from cooked soybeans (the pressed wrapped cakes are called Meju in Korea) and then wrapping the cakes in rice straw and suspending them from the farmhouse rafters to slowly mold and dry out for later use in making soy sauce and miso pastes. Different substrates and somewhat different microorganisms but the same basic practice for both soy sauce and makgeolli. From the sci lit reference posted by the OP, it strongly appears that Korean nuruk sold for household use is still made the traditional way as the composition of microflora is highly variable. The commercial makgeolli sold in plastic bottles is another story and appears to be a highly manipulated fermentation and many commercial makgeolli makers include aspartame as a non-nutritive sweetener that will not be consumed by the still active cultures. Plus they are free to add artificial flavors and color. There are still traditional makgeolli makers who make their own nuruk on site and ferment the makgeolli using all traditional methods and ingredients.

Nuruk is made from wheat or barley that is coarsely ground although I have heard of a green bean nuruk that may or may not be made of soybeans or asian long beans. The ground wheat is then wet and tightly packed into molds to make a hard cake. In the past people would stomp on the wheat to make it compact and while some brewers still use this method most nuruk producers will mechanically compress the nuruk into cakes. The nuruk is then wrapped in straw and allowed to incubate for about a week. This allows yeasts and molds from the environment to proliferate throughout the wheat cake. Next, the nuruk is dried in the sun and broken up for use in the brewing process.

The use of wheat or rice straw to hold in moisture and provide a rich source of spores is likely very important to the final quality of the nuruk as most all of the traditional solid alkaline ferments start by wrapping the cooked starch pastes with a thick layer of straw and that straw provides a rich source of spores to actively ferment the starch paste. Note this fermentation is generally slow and aerobic in nature while the secondary liquid fermentation is much more anaerobic, although the unglazed pottery Onggi if used are claimed to breath compared to plastic or metal fermentation vessels. Fermenting makgeolli in traditional Onggi unglazed pottery is not widely performed today but would make for a pirized batch and beautiful presentation.

The OP posted a link to a research article with some very valuable info on just what is to be found inside your nuruk. The reserachers analyzed 42 samples of nuruk from various regions of Korea provinces and were not able to ascertain a regional variability in the microflora. Also important to note that a significant portion, 13 out of 42 nuruk, contained foodborne pathogens such as B. cereus or Cronobacter sakazakii. It appears that these pathogenic bacteria do not grow in the glutinous rice culture media or the rice wine would make you very sick when consumed.

That right there tells you that most nuruk sold to households are being prepared using an traditional approach (at least two thousand years of rice wine making history and probably closer to 9 thousand year tradition of rice wine making in China). They are not inoculating with pure cultures as no business would inculate with such a wide range of variable "pure cultures" as a business practice. To continue with their findings:

There were various species of lactic acid bacteria such as Enterococcus faecium and Pediococcus pentosaceus in nuruk. It was unexpectedly found that only 13 among the 42 nuruk samples contained Aspergillus oryzae, the representative saccharifying fungi in makgeolli, whereas a fungi Lichtheimia corymbifera was widely distributed in nuruk. It was also found that Pichia jadinii was the predominant yeast strain in most nuruk, but the representative alcohol fermentation strain, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, was isolated from only 18 out of the 42 nuruk. These results suggested that a variety of species of fungi and yeast were distributed in nuruk and involved in the fermentation of makgeolli. In this study, a total of 64 bacterial species, 39 fugal species, and 15 yeast species were identified from nuruk. Among these strains, 37 bacterial species, 20 fungal species, and 8 yeast species were distributed less than 0.1%.

One very important concept when comparing pure culture isolates to "wild culture technique" is the concept of natural succession. In natural winemaking, natural yeast are not inoculated by pitching a pure culture into the grape must before fermentation. By utilizing the natural microflora on the grape skins and stems a certain amount of wild yeast and bacteria are already present to start the fermentation. If you follow along by trying to identify the dominant cultures as the fermentation progresses, the dominant yeast at the end of the fermentation is always S cerevisiae. But this yeast is usually not identifiable in sufficient numbers at early time points as it is not the first or fastest out of the starting block. Many different yeast and bacteria can come along to dominate at early fermentation time points until the alcohol and acid levels increase to the point where only S. cerevisiae can survive. So both the pure culture method of pitching S. cerevisiae and the natural methods have the same endpoint with S. cerevisiae dominating but only one method actually includes pitching pure culture of the yeast strain. It is claimed by the natural winemaking crowd that the intermediate strains contribute flavors and aromas that add complexity to the final wine and basically the same claims would be made by the proponents of using natural nuruk to make makgeolli. Of course you do run the risk of a failed batch of expensive wine, so most large scale wine makers do not employ such methods today as the risk to reward is not great enough to risk a spoiled batch of expensive wine. Smaller producers do employ such methods and many do find customers willing to pay more for such traditional winemaking. Much the same can be said for traditional Sake makers and Korean makgeolli merchants.

In the case of nuruk, the yeasts and bacteria present at levels of only 0.1% in the wheat cake may become dominant in the final rice wine as they find the medium to be much more conducive to growth than the dry wheat cake under warm aerobic conditions. The aerobic fungi will contribute exocellular enzymes like starch amylase but will not grow at all in the cooked rice medium as it quickly becomes anaerobic with the rapid CO2 evolution pushing out all the available oxygen. Those are growth conditions that certain yeast and LAB will thrive in.

Another important factor is feeding makgeolli with multiple rounds of cooked glutinous rice after fermentation has really taken off. You start with one nuruk cake and proceed to add batches of cooked glutinous rice after each peak in fermentation has occured. This first addition is called mitsool and all subsequent stages are known as dotsools. Depending on your recipe you have any where from one to four (sometimes even more) dotsools. In each one of these stages, the initial wild microflora found on the nuruk cake is forced to adapt to the increasing amounts of ethyl alcohol and lower pH created by LAB. This is what makes the process sanitary and clean. It's like the multiple feedings in maintaining a sourdough culture and keeps the culture strong and in log growth phase.

In the mitsool stage you will add rice, water, and nuruk. Main thing to note is that the rice you add at this stage will be ground rice prepared using a wide variety of techniques. When you grind and cook the rice you are allowing the amylose and amylopectin in the rice to break down into simple sugars that yeasts can easily consume and convert into alcohol. You want to produce a lot of alcohol at the start of the brewing process. This increase in alcohol, along with a reduction in pH by other bacteria, will help prevent any contamination in your brew.

After a few days you can add more rice and sometimes water (it depends on the recipe) and at this step you have made a dotsool. A brew that had one mitsool and one dotsool is called an eeyangju, or a two stage recipe. If two dotsools are made then it is a samyangju, three stage recipe. Usually, recipes don’t go beyond three stages however there is one popular cheongju called Cheonbihyang that uses a five stage, oyangju, recipe. There is even a recipe that has up to twelve stages.

The rice that is added can either be steamed rice or ground rice. Adding rice that has been ground and cooked will give the yeast more simple sugars to keep making alcohol. Steamed rice is only added to the last dotsool. At this point you don’t need to make more alcohol you just need to break down the amylose and amylopectin in the rice with enzymes produced by fungi. This slow breakdown of starches to sugars will add sweetness to the final product. This process takes time and a good brew isn’t filtered until a few weeks after the last dotsool is added.

Also one thing I didn’t mention about mitsool is that if you stop there the brew is called a dangyangju. However only certain recipes are danyangjus and they risk contamination if not done right. A samyangju is a really great brew to master. It’s not too long, there is less risk of contamination, and it gives reliable results.
Hi,
Looks like you have really done your research on Nuruk and Makgeolli making. I belong to a Makgeolli Brewer’s Facebook group called Susubori Makgeolli Brewer’s Club. I think that you might enjoy this group and that the group would certainly enjoy having you as a member. If you are interested in joining we are at https://www.facebook.com/groups/susubori.makgeolli.alums/?ref=share

Hi, I am new on this forum.
I live in Thailand and want to start to brew my own Makgoelli, but it is quite difficult to get Nuruk. It is for sure possible to find, but than you dont know what you get.
Therefore I want to do my own Nuruk. I want to go with BackGok-1. I read here http://www.jmb.or.kr/submission/Journal/027/JMB027-05-03_FDOC_1.pdf
that for BackGok-1 you need Wheat flour and Glutinous rice flour. I want to go with Black Sticky rice.
What is not clear for me, if I go this way:
1591241483931.png

or if I go directly with the flour.
I hope my question is clear. Thanks in advance!

I would like to make my own Nuruk as well but the recipes lack measurements and humidity percentages ...I see that you give a temperature limit for fermentation. Do you have the measurements for the grain and water? Thanks

After reading every academic paper about nuruk and other similar starters (from China etc.) and watching every video that I could find in a fit of obsession, I think I can answer some questions on here. I plan to make a guide once I get to try it myself.

For now, there are a bunch of nice videos done by a makgeolli enthusiast on youtube. He makes nuruk twice and improves the second time, but apparently the end product makes the wine taste a bit bitter.

Now, there are hardly any right or wrongs in making nuruk, since even the traditional recipes vary a lot by region and village. Still, I think that Jeff makes a two mistakes in attempts that make the end result not ideal:

- he uses too much water; ideally the ratio should be 200ml water for 1kg of flour (so somewhere betwenn 15 and 20%)
- he compresses the nuruk too much, making it a hard block and too hard for the mold to penetrate.

If you fix those two mistakes and follow his guide, I think you are well on your way. If you want to make sure to get the right mold etc., it would probably be best to inoculate your nuruk with a little old and ground up nuruk or rice balls from the store.

I have also found only these videos, thanks for those 2 tips.
Any idea, what the humidity should be in the box when the good mold grows the best?

I have also found only these videos, thanks for those 2 tips.
Any idea, what the humidity should be in the box when the good mold grows the best?
On your question of humidity. I have not cultured Nuruk but I am an experienced Makgeolli brewer and am very familiar with Nuruk. I do however make my own Korean Soy Sauce and Fermented Bean Paste. I make bean blocks called Meju and these are cultured the same way Nuruk is cultured. I live in the desert with extremely low humidity and wide variations in temperature. I incubated my Meju blocks in the following way. I placed a footed grate in the bottom of a lidded roasting pan to create a water reservoir. I then layered fermenting materials on top of that. I used dried wild mountain grass, fresh rabbit brush, wild fresh sage branches and pine branches...next the a Meju went in and were covered with more of the fermenting materials...the lid was placed on top with fermenting materials protruding on all side to allow for fresh air circulation. I had to then place the roasting pan on a heating pad set to low. The humidity stayed at roughly 41% - 45%. You may not need a water reservoir if you live in a more humid area. I inspected the Meju each day for mold development...if they develop a neon colored mold they need to be thrown out as this is toxic. Note: the photo were taken outdoors because everyday I would pull everything out to see if I needed to add more water in the reservoir and to remove any of the fermenting materials that I thought were too wet to be replaced with dry. The roasting pan incubator was kept indoors during the process to control the temp better and tp protect the thermo/hydrometer I used.
F698B0BC-0EF5-4AE5-96D2-E2AB124F702D.jpeg

Last edited:
Since I love Korea and live no way near it I've figured out I want to start making makgeolli myself. I see a lot of discussions on how to make it here, but nobody is talking about making the nuruk themselfs.

From what I can gather it's just a dry sourdough starter but instead of just lacto and yeast it produces Aspergillus oryzae, a fungus that also eats sugar.

Shouldn't be that hard!

1. make a patty of crushed whole wheat
2. let it sit at warm temperature (35-40 C) for 15 days
3. turn every 2-3 days
4. dust off mold and dry in warm ventilated place
5. crumble and make makgeolli

I have my first one sitting on top of my 40 C livingroom oven right now.
Will post again after 15 days and let you know what happened.

But if you know something, say something!
And if you want to join me in finding out if this works, read the links and try it out with me.

Recipe:
http://cheotsool.blogspot.no/p/making-drinking-and-enjoying-makgeolli.html

Facts:
Analysis of microflora profile in Korean traditional nuruk - PubMed

PS. I'd love some more links on making it if you can find it. Not too much info out there. This is the internet god damn it, let's fill this info-hole!
How was your nuruk?

Thank you! It's very informative. 🙂 Have you made nuruk and makgeoli?

Back