Lesson Learned.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay29

Reaction score
Just brewed a beer today, Jamil's Ordinary Bitter.

After the wort cooled, I put a gallon of spring water into my carboy. Then I started to add some wort and stopped to give it a little shake. Well, the carboy BROKE because I maybe got a little to aggressive on my cement floor. Quickly put another carboy into service and pressed on. Looks Like I over compensated the water. Well, the original gravity was supposed to be 1.038. Mine is now 1.034. So about 3.15% alcohol. It was supposed to be 3.6%. I hope it comes out right taste wise.

Lesson: Put a towel or some kind of cushion underneath carboy.

Glass carboy on a cement floor? Sounds like you were flirting with disaster. I'm glad you weren't hurt.

Wow, shaking a glass carboy on a cement floor. At least you were not hurt.

If I use a glass carboy it is always in a milk crate for protection. I will not even ever set a carboy on a bare floor.

Any fermentation vessel on a cement floor can be a bad idea, especially in the northern states. You may find it a challenge to get the fermentation started, as the cement floor can keep it too cool.

Any fermentation vessel on a cement floor can be a bad idea, especially in the northern states. You may find it a challenge to get the fermentation started, as the cement floor can keep it too cool.

This is true for sure as the temperature can be quite a bit warmer even a few inches above the floor. In any case a plastic bucket would be much safer because they don't break if bumped on concrete and if they do manage to break they won't slice you to ribbons like glass can.

Back