Lent = No beer/alcohol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rentachik

Reaction score
So I know there are a few Yahoos on here that gave up beer/alcohol for lent. I am regretting this decision.... I also gave up fast food too. So, no fast food and no beer makes for one grumpy dude. And to top it all off.. I have a wicked Maibock that is done lagering right about now. But I have to wait.

Any others make this not so good decision?

Wrost part of the whole situation... I'm not catholic. I started giving up stuff for lent and dropped 60lbs, can run for miles now and this year.... I'm lowering my alcohol tolerance. Can't be all that bad...?

I started giving up stuff for lent and dropped 60lbs, can run for miles now and this year.... I'm lowering my alcohol tolerance. Can't be all that bad...?[/QUOTE]
I gained 40 lbs. Can now stumble 10 ft to the tap to pour another pint. And have never became intolerant with my alcohol. We may not always agree but it takes care of me and I take care of it:drunk:

IIRC, Bock and some other heavy beers were created for Lent fasting.

The Monks would live on beer only.

They may have been silent, but I bet they smiled a lot.

:)

This year I gave of soda for lent since I could not give up beer. God wants me to understand sacrifice not make life not worth living.:tank:

I always toyed with the idea of giving up beer for lent, but my birthday is always in lent so why set myself up for failure?

Honestly there is no scriptural basis for giving up stuff for lent, it's a Catholic invention of control, and nothing that Jesus ever really spoke about, so I've always thought that folks who give stuff up for lent are sukas. :)

In my denomination we talk about giving up negative thoughts and ideas rather than earthly objects. (One of the things is um, whining and complaining about stuff. ;)

Besides where beer is concerned, you guys REALLY screwed the pooch on that one.

Did anyone ever stop to realize that Monks actually drank beer during Lent as a replacement for the meat they gave up?!?

Heck there was even a style of beer brewed for lent.

"Doppelbock emerged in the late eighteenth century as a powerful lager variant of the old monastic strong beer, the monks' "liquid bread," which they traditionally brewed for the Lenten season. Living by the strict rules of their order, the monks were regularly required to castigate themselves by periodic bouts of fasting, when next to no solid food was allowed to pass their lips. The longest and most taxing of these periods of culinary abstinence was, of course, Lent, the 46 days between Ash Wednesday and Easter Sunday. Because the monks believed that liquids not only cleansed the body but also the soul, they would make plenty of liquid instead of solid bread from their grain, and then drink it in copious quantities...the more, the holier. Because the monks were society's role models in those religious times...as did the monks so did the common folk. The secular verson of the sacred strong bier was called a Bockbier.

The first Lenten strong beer was brewed by Paulaner monks at Cloister Neudeck ob der Au in Munich. The Paulaners had arrived in Munich from Italy in 1627. They began brewing beer for their own comsumption shortly thereafter—exactly when is not clear. Depending on which documents one can trust, the year was 1630, 1651 or 1670. The Paulaners felt, however, that such a strong brew with such delightful qualities might be just a bit too much of an indulgence for Lent. So they decided to ask the Holy Father in Rome for a special dispensation so that they could continued to brew it with a clear conscience. The Paulaners dispatched a cask of Lenten beer to Rome for the pope to try and to pass judgment. During its transport across the Alps and along the burning sun of Italy, unfortunately—or fortunately—the cask tossed and turned, and heated for several weeks—a classic condition for causing beer to turn sour and undrinkable. So when the Holy Father tasted the much-praised stuff from Munich, he found it (appropriately) disgusting. His decision: Because the brew was so vile, it was probably beneficial for the souls of the Munich monks to make and drink as much of it as they could. Therefore, he willingly gave the brewing of this new, allegedly rotten, beer style his blessing. Little did he know..."

From http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/Doppelbock.html

This year I have very little sympathy for you folks who give something up voluntarily then whine about it. You gave it up voluntarily!!! So man up and shutup.

worlds-smallest-violin.jpg

I haven't had a drop since the weekend before my surgery over a month ago, and prolly won't be able to for at least another month....hell, maybe two.

So get over it....
neener.gif

And what have I been doing despite not being able to drink beer? Still writing about it, reading about it, and answering posts about it. Wimps....:rolleyes:

Although last night I dreamt I was in a beer store and could never seem to get anything. As I went to reach for a bottle on the shelf the shelf would get higher until I couldn't reach it. :(

Meh,

Revvy, I appreciate your post but even Catholic's understand it is not the giving up of something that is important in lent. It became that not out of control but it was the easy way someone could exercise some piety during the season.

I do not want to get on a religious discussion so I will stop now.

Well,the way we were taught in parochial school was that we fast not just to cleans the body or soul. But,rather,to experience some of the pain our Lord went through. But Jesus did talk about fasting. Comb your hair,bath,shave,etc. Don't go around looking like you're fasting,basically.
Now,I'm not a bible thumper by any stretch of the imagination. But certain things have proven to be true in life.

8 years of Catholic school, church every day,nuns with pointers that smack you......I have suffered enough for a life time

8 years of Catholic school, church every day,nuns with pointers that smack you......I have suffered enough for a life time

Yup,Been there,done that. Church 3-4 times a week,pointers with this little ball thing on the end for those long-range brain dusters. One time,the nun didn't think I put my books away fast enough,had me lay my hands on the desk palms down. Then,took a huge thick bible & tried to bloody break them! Sister Mary Helen Grace to be exact.
Then,the tiny nun we all called "battlewagon",cause she was always shootin off her big mouth. They put in my records that I was "hell on two feet"! Gee,I wonder why?...Best part,though,I met my future wife there in 1st grade!!:rockin:

Honestly there is no scriptural basis for giving up stuff for lent, it's a Catholic invention of control, and nothing that Jesus ever really spoke about, so I've always thought that folks who give stuff up for lent are sukas. :)

In my denomination we talk about giving up negative thoughts and ideas rather than earthly objects. (One of the things is um, whining and complaining about stuff. ;)

Besides where beer is concerned, you guys REALLY screwed the pooch on that one.

Did anyone ever stop to realize that Monks actually drank beer during Lent as a replacement for the meat they gave up?!?

Heck there was even a style of beer brewed for lent.

From http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/Doppelbock.html

This year I have very little sympathy for you folks who give something up voluntarily then whine about it. You gave it up voluntarily!!! So man up and shutup.

worlds-smallest-violin.jpg

I haven't had a drop since the weekend before my surgery over a month ago, and prolly won't be able to for at least another month....hell, maybe two.

So get over it....
neener.gif

And what have I been doing despite not being able to drink beer? Still writing about it, reading about it, and answering posts about it. Wimps....:rolleyes:

Although last night I dreamt I was in a beer store and could never seem to get anything. As I went to reach for a bottle on the shelf the shelf would get higher until I couldn't reach it. :(

Meh,

LMFAO. Classic Revvy post! :D Nice touch on the violin.

Sooo,anyway,I'll just have to force myself to get some more Salvator doppel bock on the way back from the BMV & FMM. Maybe some amber bock as well...

I not only gave up beer/alcohol, I gave up drinking anything but water, and I stopped eating meat of any kind. Even fish. Talk about a bad decision! I have 25 gallons of homebrew ready for bottling/kegging, and another 10 already packaged. Right now even the Red Stripe in the fridge is looking pretty good! Thank goodness that Sundays are exempt, huh?!?!

Yep me non religious and using lent as an excuse to give up booze. Nearly half way!! Woo hoo! I am brewing a lot though. I feel pretty weird. I guess my body needed a break. I have lost no weight. I don't know. Everyone thinks the bad side of risky behavior (like regular excessive drinking) applies to someone else. It is called gamblers folly. "Somehow I am special or lucky" and other silly ideas. Booze is addictive and a stroll through any city centre will show you some real pain and misery it can cause. I don't see heineken trying to reach these parts and help Of course those people are weak losers and we are strong willed and strong livered choosers right? Err. There but for the grace of God go I. Sh?t maybe I'm getting religious. But seriously, I think it's good to force yourself to do something that's hard and not fun and be the boss of body and mind just for a while at least.

Latest posts

Back