Length of Time in Second Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadianjen

Reaction score
Just curious how long others leave their cider in carboy during second fermentation?

I usually do 2 weeks-ish in first until the bubbles have slowed down or completely stopped then about 3-4 weeks in secondary then bottle. Do some of you leave yours for months and months? Benefits?

This last batch I did I was planning on bottling today but has a very sour finish. Just trying to decide if I should leave it for longer in a carboy or at least in bottles for a few more months before drinking.

Just curious how long others leave their cider in carboy during second fermentation?

I usually do 2 weeks-ish in first until the bubbles have slowed down or completely stopped then about 3-4 weeks in secondary then bottle. Do some of you leave yours for months and months? Benefits?

This last batch I did I was planning on bottling today but has a very sour finish. Just trying to decide if I should leave it for longer in a carboy or at least in bottles for a few more months before drinking.
I usually do around 3 months to make sure the cider I am bottling is crystal clear. I have a short window for fermentation at a low ambient temperature so 3 months is really all the longer I can leave it sit before temperatures are too high in the garage. That said longer lengths can lead to different yeast flavor being expressed, which is called sur lie. Autolysis flavor from dead yeast takes quite a while to achieve from what I understand 9-12 months. Some cider and wine producers also stir their lees to make the flavors more complex. That process is called batonnage.

Last edited:
I usually do around 3 months to make sure the cider I am bottling is crystal clear. I have a short window for fermentation at a low ambient temperature so 3 months is really all the longer I can leave it sit before temperatures are too high in the garage. That said longer lengths can lead to different yeast flavor being expressed, which is called sur lie. Autolysis flavor from dead yeast takes quite a while to achieve from what I understand 9-12 months. Some cider and wine producers also stir their lees to make the flavors more complex. That process is called batonnage.

thanks for the info. Maybe I’ll have mine sit a bit longer this go around.

I bottle my wine after at least 6 months in tertiary. Cider is kinda like apple wine except mine is bubbly. I want to make sure there is some yeast still active so bottling after 4 months seems reasonable. One day I'm going to let it sit in the carboy for a year or more, add yeast and bottle. Patience seems useful in this hobby.

I bottle my wine after at least 6 months in tertiary. Cider is kinda like apple wine except mine is bubbly. I want to make sure there is some yeast still active so bottling after 4 months seems reasonable. One day I'm going to let it sit in the carboy for a year or more, add yeast and bottle. Patience seems useful in this hobby.
I am planning on leaving some bottles of cider bottle condition and age on the lees for about a year and a half this time around. Really wondering what will happen to the flavor. Also interested in how much sulfite will be used in that time. My recent batch was only 6 months before disgorging and corking so this will tripple the aging time.

3 months in primary, a further month or two in secondary, although I'm starting to think secondary is unnecessary and may bottle straight from primary in my next batch.

Back