Length of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dallasd9

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Red Ale that has been in the fermenter for five six days now. I'm using a Tilt Hydrometer and reached my target FG of 1.010 two days ago and it hasn't changed. I'm still getting bubbling in my blow off about once a minute. Since it appears that the fermentation is complete are the bubbles caused by the yeast cleaning up? Should I leave it for another week or go ahead and keg/carbonate?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
After 5-6 days and reaching expected FG, you are probably done with active fermentation. What you're seeing in the blow-off jar is probably CO2 being released from the beer in order to equilibrate with the fermenter headspace, causing a very slight outward pressure that burps the jar every minute. That should cease within a short time.

You don't need to leave this for another full week, although there is no harm in doing so. 2-3 more days is likely to be enough time, especially if you are packaging the beer in a keg, where a teeny bit of additional fermentation - albeit unlikely - would not cause any harm.

After 5-6 days and reaching expected FG, you are probably done with active fermentation. What you're seeing in the blow-off jar is probably CO2 being released from the beer in order to equilibrate with the fermenter headspace, causing a very slight outward pressure that burps the jar every minute. That should cease within a short time.

You don't need to leave this for another full week, although there is no harm in doing so. 2-3 more days is likely to be enough time, especially if you are packaging the beer in a keg, where a teeny bit of additional fermentation - albeit unlikely - would not cause any harm.
Thanks for the fast reply. That's what I was thinking.

Back