Lemongrass Wheat Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrtoastyman

Reaction score
OK, so I'm going to take a crack at a Lemongrass Wheat Beer. Basically just going to use a NB wheat kit (this one, in particular) and fancy it up a bit. Question is this: at what point should I add the lemongrass, and how should I use it? I was thinking of cutting the stalks into 1-2" pieces and adding them during the boil, as if I was making a soup.

Anyone have a sense of when it ought to be added and how much should be used? Thanks to anyone that has any wisdom here.

I made a wheat beer recently and used lemongrass in the recipe. I used .5 oz and I didn't cut the stalks up at all beyond cutting the tips off. I'm not sure if you'd have to do that even.. they just looked a little grimy to me. After I cut the tips off, I tossed them into a muslin boiling bag and added it to the boil with about 20 minutes left. .5 oz doesn't seem like a lot, but I could definitely taste it in the finished batch. Hope this helps. :mug:

Yep my lemongrass ginger hefe was great. I added 1 oz chopped lemongrass at 15 minutes and dry hopped with another .5 oz after 9 days and let sit for 5 more days. Yum

Austin Homebrew has a lemongrass wheat kit.
I'll have to check how I did it when I get home, but I think it was close to RiverRats' timing.

Thanks much! I had actually thought about adding some ginger to the mix, too -- how did that turn out elsphinc? Would you brew it again?

I make a wheat that has a lot of lemongrass characteristics that all come from using Sorachi Ace hops late in the boil and dry hop. It's one of my staple beers that everyone loves.

Back