Lemonaughty hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EPbrew

Reaction score
I ordered 8oz of Lemonaughty from Yakima Valley Hops but don't know what to use them in yet. Thinking about a saison though. Anyone have experience with them?

An experimental hops with an interesting name. For anyone who doesn't know a thing about these hops, here's the description from YV's site:

Type: Dual Purpose
Alpha: 10.3 %
Aroma: Lemon, Fruity, lemonaide, smooth, cantaloupe, envigorating

Last edited:
I know what YV's site says. That is where I bought them from after all. I was hoping to find someone that has actually used them.

Pardon me for spreading info that others reading this might not know...

Jeez!

Edited my above post.

I saw the lemon drop hops, but had not heard of the lemonaughty. I must investigate.

You are quite welcome!

:)

Now, I wonder, do these hops come in an undamaged package?

:D

Post resurrection: did anyone in this post use these? I was pleased that the hop descriptors were posted here as they have vanished from the yvh website...
I picked up a 1/2lb of the 2017 crop and will do a NEIPA w/1318, targeting a 6/2/2018 pour date...

Post resurrection: did anyone in this post use these? I was pleased that the hop descriptors were posted here as they have vanished from the yvh website...
I picked up a 1/2lb of the 2017 crop and will do a NEIPA w/1318, targeting a 6/2/2018 pour date...

Pic:
IMG_7686.jpg

How do they taste?

How do they taste?

Really interesting. Definitely lemon up front with some mellon character and bright crisp flavors, not those of over ripe fruit. I also got a bit of resin/rind/touch of wood (pleasant).
I enjoyed the hop on its own and have been trying to think of other hops it would complement. As a base hop with light additions of Citra/mosaic may add even more depth to the flavor.
I brought this batch to a neighborhood block party and people drained the keg pretty quickly.
I’ll be picking up more of the 2018 vintage when the time comes.

Really interesting. Definitely lemon up front with some mellon character and bright crisp flavors, not those of over ripe fruit. I also got a bit of resin/rind/touch of wood (pleasant).
I enjoyed the hop on its own and have been trying to think of other hops it would complement. As a base hop with light additions of Citra/mosaic may add even more depth to the flavor.
I brought this batch to a neighborhood block party and people drained the keg pretty quickly.
I’ll be picking up more of the 2018 vintage when the time comes.

I just brewed an NEIPA that was heavy on Lemonaughty, and complimented with Motueka, Citra & Centennial (Imperial A24 Dry Hop yeast). My goal was something refreshing akin to Lemonade/Lemon-Lime gatorade...

Kegged yesterday: I definitely pick up the Lemon-y Citrus character in nose/flavor + a distinctive melon character in the flavor. I dig this hop in something light/crisp/summer-y.

I think it'd go well in a hefe, saison or (especially) a gose.

I just brewed an NEIPA that was heavy on Lemonaughty, and complimented with Motueka, Citra & Centennial (Imperial A24 Dry Hop yeast). My goal was something refreshing akin to Lemonade/Lemon-Lime gatorade...

Kegged yesterday: I definitely pick up the Lemon-y Citrus character in nose/flavor + a distinctive melon character in the flavor. I dig this hop in something light/crisp/summer-y.

RECIPE: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/665066/-b-eckonade

Interesting... I just did a hazy IPA which had el dorado, citra, and lemondrop. First time using all those varieties. The beer was fantastic, but I was quite suprised to NOT find citrus forward aroma from the Citra and Lemondrop. El dorado smelled like heaven though... Maybe next batch will be El Dorado and Lemonaughty.

That's an idea!! A gose with a noticeable salt backbone. Bet that'd be delicious! Might have to put that on my to brew list.

I got in touch with YVH (Kaleb) via email and they aren’t carrying lemonaughty for 2018 :(
I’m going to fire up some neomex hops for my experimental hop brewing schedule this year. Did a Medusa pale ale and I’ve got some Zappa and Sabro ready to go! Anyone snag some new-release or experimental hops?

Back