Lemon Shandy needs sweetness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J0EBEER

Reaction score
Brewed a 5gal basic wheat. Fermented and carboyed as usual. Per most forums I researched, I added 4 packs of unsweetened Kool aid and the regular amount of bottling sugar after 2 weeks, and bottled. Tried one 2 weeks later. Beer looks and smells like a lemon shandy, but has a very tart lemon flavour. Carbonation was perfect. Question is, how can I sweeten up the other 46 bottles, lol. If I uncapped and add a sugar cube to each, I'm afraid I may make beer bombs. Any advise from the experienced would be appreciated!

If you're looking to add sweetness by adding sugar, you would have to recarbonate the bottles with excess sugar and pasteurize when it gets to the desired carb level again. This leaves added sweetness by killing the yeast before they're done. You risk oxidation so it's not a great idea in my opinion but that's all I can think to do.

Alternatively, waiting a few more weeks to let the flavors mellow may be good too and it's no additional work.

Waiting 2 more weeks b4 uncapping another bottle was my first thought. Hoping things mellow down by then. Gonna also try adding a half cube of sugar to one bottle and let it sit for a week. Thanks for the thoughts.

Might be worth trying another with a small amount of sugar added to the glass. No risk of bottle bombs, and if it tastes bad you only sacrificed one beer.

if you're gonna add sugar, add xylitol or some other artificial sweetner that won't ferment. If you add real sugar you'l have bottle bombs. Give it a month the lemon will mellow and then you will taste the original sweetness.

maybe just top up with some soda when you pour it - in the UK we have 'lager tops' which is 4/5s lager and the barman squirts some lemonade in

I would tend to agree that your best bet is to sweeten while serving, at this point. Make a batch of simple syrup and just stir in a tbsp after pouring.

Back