Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Send them an email about the Sorachi...Brewmasters is pretty good about adding stuff, as for vendors with Sorachi in stock...Northern Brewer!

I found both at Midwest Supplies. But there freight is outrageous if I wanted to add grain. Thanks for the recipe I can’t wait to try it.

Hydrometer sample at three weeks: 1.009. Great clove nose and tart flavor. Yeast was 3068. Fermented at 63.

I'm really excited to bottle this one up!

got a reply from Ed at brewmasters...
We carry both of those when we can get them. Motukea is out of stock for this crop year with more coming in sometime in July/August.

Sorachi Ace is just very limited in supply so it is hard to find any anywhere.

Thanks,

Ed

so it looks like if ya find them anywhere... buy them while ya can get them.

I just got. An ounce each from my LHBS. They had a bunch. And I think they do mail order now
Keystonehomebrew supply

Crap!
Brewed this tonight and totally forgot the lime zest?!
Can I add some when I add the limeade and if so do I boil them or is it too late?
Planned this all week and totally dropped the ball. Crapola

jamursch said:
Crap!
Can I add some when I add the limeade and if so do I boil them or is it too late?

I can't see that changing too much. the lime ade has to overpower the zest.

Skagdog said:
I used racking tubing for the "blow off" on both of mine and it was fine. Follow slim's advice and don't add the limeade until "vigorous fermentation" has stopped.

Oh sure I know that. I just use the 1/2" it worked great for my last batch of brown ale. (First time I ever saw krauzen in the air lock)

I am a big fan of 1 inch blow offs. For my better bottles, I take a stopper and drill out a 7/8s or smaller hole and it creates an air tight seal with the blow of tubes. They handle the craziest blow offs.

Crap!

If I want to add Lime Zest and use it as a dry hop, How long should I soak in vodka before it's safe to go?
Also, I'm getting nuts trying to find Simply Limeade! Every store in my area seems to have every product by them BUT the Limeade. I may have to go with Lemonade instead and rely on the lime zest.
Thoughts?

If I want to add Lime Zest and use it as a dry hop, How long should I soak in vodka before it's safe to go?
Also, I'm getting nuts trying to find Simply Limeade! Every store in my area seems to have every product by them BUT the Limeade. I may have to go with Lemonade instead and rely on the lime zest.
Thoughts?

you arent in lakewood nj are you?
and id use ras-lemmonade be for regular

jamursch said:
Thoughts?

I wouldn't sweat the lime zest...try to find a simply product you would like to drink and go with that, the regular lemonade and your hops will be over powering so I would recommend another flavor...worse case scenario make your own limeade (I put instructions on how to make one earlier on this thread).

SD-SLIM said:
I wouldn't sweat the lime zest...try to find a simply product you would like to drink and go with that, the regular lemonade and your hops will be over powering so I would recommend another flavor...worse case scenario make your own limeade (I put instructions on how to make one earlier on this thread).

I'd vote for Simply Grapefruit. Earlier slim said his buddies or some one made it and liked it so I did one of each. Aside from my low mash temp and getting a light body, the grapefruit is the winner in my book...just my 2¥...

Thanks Slim,
I've called Simply and found that there are stores in the area that they show should have it, so I'll pop around and see if I can't get lucky. Like you said, worst case I'll make my own in the old Vitamix.

I've been looking at this recipe lately because I'm trying to put together about 4-5 brews for my outdoor wedding this summer.

I've got a couple questions. I wanted to do a hefe that the lighter beer drinkers and the ladies will really enjoy. How pronounced is the lemon flavor? Does it completely drown the beer? From all the positive feedback it seems like it would hit the spot I just didn't want to make this if it literally tasted like limeaid with a hint of beer ;).

Thanks!

This wasn't my thing when I brewed it. A little too Limey and not enough beer taste for me personally. But maybe I went wrong somewhere because everyone in the post loves this.

It could probably be a easy beer for the lady's.

thirstyutahn said:
I've been looking at this recipe lately because I'm trying to put together about 4-5 brews for my outdoor wedding this summer.

I've got a couple questions. I wanted to do a hefe that the lighter beer drinkers and the ladies will really enjoy. How pronounced is the lemon flavor? Does it completely drown the beer? From all the positive feedback it seems like it would hit the spot I just didn't want to make this if it literally tasted like limeaid with a hint of beer ;).

Thanks!

It's defiantly a limeade hefeweizen, it's a smooth drinker like blue moon....I don't really think of it as a chick beer because it's higher in alcohol...to me it's a lighter beer style for warm summer days, I haven't found a Man or Women yet that didn't drink more than one of these!

Props to you SLIM. I think you have more post in this thread than any one else. And you seem to answer all questions asap.

Any way ill be firing this on up sunday

I'm super pumped for tomorrow. Finally found the Simply Limeade and am adding it tomorrow, so looking forward to the fireworks when the yeasties get their hands on it.

I'll second the props to Slim for his support and dedication to the community. I'll toast ya with my Lemon-Lime Hefe!

LOL...just wanna help everyone enjoy this beer, I put a lot of love in to this recipe and had several other do the same...so for our sake, I just want to make sure you guys get the same experience we did! Happy Brewing, keep us posted on how it turned out!

Hey thanks for the quick reply. I think i might go ahead and brew it here soon and give it a test run. A little R&D if you will ;).

JimTheHick said:
Bottling mine tomorrow after 3.5 weeks! 7 gallons baby! Can't wait til it conditions.

3.5 weeks? Nice im doing a pale tomorrow and this on Saturday. It should work nicely with my weak pipeline

Bottled this today after about 3.5 walks in the primary. I drank the gravity sample and I really liked it. I drank it about 9 days prior and the lime was strong up front. Now, not so much. The carbonation, I imagine, will smooth it all out. I'm excited to have the final product.

What do you think for bottle conditioning: Three weeks, or can you go less since it's a hefe?

RCBIV said:
Bottled this today after about 3.5 walks in the primary. I drank the gravity sample and I really liked it. I drank it about 9 days prior and the lime was strong up front. Now, not so much. The carbonation, I imagine, will smooth it all out. I'm excited to have the final product.

What do you think for bottle conditioning: Three weeks, or can you go less since it's a hefe?

Bottled my 7.5 gallons this morning as well! I used 3068 yeast, and the brew had a nice balance between lime and clove. The lime was really present by smell, but not so much in the taste. Nice and tart, from the yeast. I'm excited for this one! No banana flavors. I'm curious too re: conditioning time in the bottle.

JimTheHick said:
Bottled my 7.5 gallons this morning as well! I used 3068 yeast, and the brew had a nice balance between lime and clove. The lime was really present by smell, but not so much in the taste. Nice and tart, from the yeast. I'm excited for this one! No banana flavors. I'm curious too re: conditioning time in the bottle.

Hello gentleman, the conditioning phase started after approximately 10 days in the primary, so after 3+ weeks your beer should have removed a lot of unwanted by products and will no longer need any more conditioning....prime, bottle, store at 65-75 degrees and allow the carbonation levels to get to your liking, this could take 10 to 14 days, refrigerate for 24 hours and drink!

So what would the flavor difference in using White Labs Hefeweizen IV Ale Yeast, White Labs 320 or Safale US-05. I don't have a good understanding of how the these different yeasts effect the taste. I understand they do but how do they differ?

KirkD said:
So what would the flavor difference in using White Labs Hefeweizen IV Ale Yeast, White Labs 320 or Safale US-05. I don't have a good understanding of how the these different yeasts effect the taste. I understand they do but how do they differ?

Safale S-05 is an American Ale dry yeast, it's known for rapid starts and producing a very clean crisp beer with low diacetyls, dry yeast are great for new brewers and/or for brewers who don't have the means to wash and re-use yeast....320 is a Oregon style yeast that produces a strong banana clove taste, with some sulfur...Heft IV is a strong clove taste with minimal banana, also includes citrus apricot notes and finishes off crisp clean beers.....in summary, read the profiles of various yeast and play with the this and other recipes to find combinations you like....as your own brewer, it's only wrong if you don't like the way it taste!

Hey slim you used a 6. Global bettrt bottle?
also I have a half pound OG carapils wanna use up should ii use it in this/?

davis119 said:
Hey slim you used a 6. Global bettrt bottle?
also I have a half pound OG carapils wanna use up should ii use it in this/?

A 6 gallon better bottle will work as long as you use a blow off tube...as for carapils, I wouldn't recommend using it on this particular beer recipe due to the flavor and color of the grain, but your the brewer so if you want to go that road then go for it!

SD-SLIM said:
A 6 gallon better bottle will work as long as you use a blow off tube...as for carapils, I wouldn't recommend using it on this particular beer recipe due to the flavor and color of the grain, but your the brewer so if you want to go that road then go for it!

Well would a bucket be a better choice? Do to the extra room?

davis119 said:
Well would a bucket be a better choice? Do to the extra room?

Either will work, the bucket will probably provide more head space...but the better bottle will do the job and would only be a concern once the simply limeade was addded.

SD-SLIM said:
Either will work, the bucket will probably provide more head space...but the better bottle will do the job and would only be a concern once the simply limeade was addded.

Yeah I have both I was just concerned about having 5.5gl and then adding then limeade ill have next to no head space. Ill prob use the bucket thanks

Back