Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slim I can sense some of your frustration with recipie alterations just from reading some way back posts. Just view them as a compliment. When folks ask me for recipies I'm always flattered.... and it doesn't hurt my ego when I find out the goofballs made a ton of substitutions but I do mock them if it comes out poorly!

I've made your recipie more than any other in my short brewing career.... but I've also gone off recipie to suit my own tastes and never made a bad beer.

I just wouldn't answer PMs where people never made it and are talking subs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

So instead of limeade, do you guys think cheese whiz might work?

Sent from Cheese Doodle Land.

Brewing this beauty on Sunday, question about sanitizing the lime zest. I tried searching through the thread but didn't quite find what I was looking for. Do I have to sanitize? I was thinking of just really scrubbing it down zesting and tossing 5 minutes at the end. Should I give it a quick hit of star san just for the sake of putting the mind at ease? I dont really want to soak it in bleach and I dont keep vodka on hand haha.

When sanitizing am I soaking them whole or after i've zested? Also i'm assuming keep the white pith part out as you would for an orange?

Did it say anywhere what the AA% were? My Moteuka is 7.2 and my Sorachi is 14.3 so when I add mine all up on brewers friend i'm getting 20IBU's instead of the recipes 11?

Should I adjust these to less then .25oz? or just stick with it?

Brewing this beauty on Sunday, question about sanitizing the lime zest. I tried searching through the thread but didn't quite find what I was looking for. Do I have to sanitize? I was thinking of just really scrubbing it down zesting and tossing 5 minutes at the end. Should I give it a quick hit of star san just for the sake of putting the mind at ease? I dont really want to soak it in bleach and I dont keep vodka on hand haha.

When sanitizing am I soaking them whole or after i've zested? Also i'm assuming keep the white pith part out as you would for an orange?

I bought organic limes, washed them, zested them, and just tossed them in the boil with no problem. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

And yes. The pith is yucky.

I bought organic limes, washed them, zested them, and just tossed them in the boil with no problem. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

And yes. The pith is yucky.

Great! Thank you!

What did you do for hop bitterness? My Sorachi ace is quite higher then what is required. I dont really know if an extra 9 IBU's is going to make or break the recipe especially never having even smelt these hops (Vacuum sealed)

My scale sucks so I might just buy a new one today but it wont even measure .25oz and it wont measure anything less then 1 gram at a time haha. I've got the recipe measuring in grams around 16-18 ibu's

Great! Thank you!

What did you do for hop bitterness? My Sorachi ace is quite higher then what is required. I dont really know if an extra 9 IBU's is going to make or break the recipe especially never having even smelt these hops (Vacuum sealed)

My scale sucks so I might just buy a new one today but it wont even measure .25oz and it wont measure anything less then 1 gram at a time haha. I've got the recipe measuring in grams around 16-18 ibu's

I am going to go ahead and let someone of better experience with that chime in. To be completely honest, I haven't checked the AA% of either of the hops when I did this recipe. I would say don't worry about it, but that's not fair.

You should be find. I wouldn't worry too much about it since it's added at 20min vs 60. So it's not mainly for the bitter. You can add slightly less or slightly later in the boil. Or if you really want to hit the ibu, put the numbers into beer smith and adjust until you hit your IBU.

You don't need to sanatize the zest.

Just finished making this. Our OG was 1.060 which is surprising because my last batch was way off my OG. This was my third all grain for this beer. My last beer I needed 1.052 and was more around 1.042-5 (can't recall exactly) but I dont think I was working my mill right. It wasn't crushing all the grains so I attributed that to the low OG. However beersmith was telling me I should be getting 1.058 with this. I dont fully understand it all but I can say this much, I cannot wait to try this beer fermented! Sample tasted great and it was delightful brewing it.

Should I consider adding top off water to drop my OG? I've already pitched the yeast.

My basterdized version with a Kolsch yeast just got a 37 in Dry Docks competition. Was snubbed a medal because they combined Fruit Beer with bunch of other categories... still went to Best of Show tho.

Thanks slim. My entire apartment smells of this beer. It's bubbling like crazy! This is going to be a long few weeks before I can try this. I was hoping to find a nice lime beer and the sample of this was delicious. I'll probabky start the second batch of this once the first goes into the keg. Didn't sanitize my limes and no signs of an infection.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Home Brew mobile app

No real need to sanitize your limes for zest because the go in to the boil... You would only need to sanitize them if you are making your own limeade

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Few hours after the limeade haha. Maybe I'll add it a bit later next time.

1394597378490.jpg

1394597402504.jpg

Natural we all warned of adding this early... Despite the mess your on your way to making a great beer, make sure it ferments for a total of three weeks, it needs that long for the complexity of the beer to come out!

Haha yeah. First time experiencing this. It was glorious seeing my cats freaking out at what was happening. House smells wonderful.

Natural we all warned of adding this early... Despite the mess your on your way to making a great beer, make sure it ferments for a total of three weeks, it needs that long for the complexity of the beer to come out!

I read that yiu always set this up with a blow off tube so I had one sitting in my sanitizer pale ready to go just in case haha.

make sure it ferments for a total of three weeks, it needs that long for the complexity of the beer to come out!

I posted this a few weeks ago, but got no reply. Does it get better with a few months of age, or is it better to drink it early? I'm planning on making it for our vacation this summer, but I'm wondering if I should wait. Vacation is the end of July through the first week of August.

I posted this a few weeks ago, but got no reply. Does it get better with a few months of age, or is it better to drink it early? I'm planning on making it for our vacation this summer, but I'm wondering if I should wait. Vacation is the end of July through the first week of August.

You probably got no reply because this is not only a Hefeweizen recipe, but a fruit beer recipe. Neither of which are ever aged.

You probably got no reply because this is not only a Hefeweizen recipe, but a fruit beer recipe. Neither of which are ever aged.

Ya, but it doesn't mean it won't be good. That's why I'm asking. I was hoping someone who had a bottle or something stored away for a while might chime in. I expect it would be good, but might lose some character or not seem as bright.

Summertime always gets busy especially when I'm taking classes summer term and have to do a work study program. I'm just worried I won't find the time when it gets time.

Oh my dear lord! I brewed this for the second time two and half weeks ago. Took a gravity reading and tasting sample(of course) and it's fantastic again! Best recipe I've ever made!! The only issue I have is keeping the tap flowing! Last time the keg kicked in 6 days!

I'd wait. I think the lemon lime punch in the face will be missing. Or at least not as pronounced. Which is what makes this such a great summer beer. I asked in the forum earlier about a great summer beer I could make and set aside and let it age and this was recommended. Not sure as to what it does to this beer. But I dont plan on letting it age. Snow is melting I wish it was ready now.

I haven't read all 131 pages of this thread, so pardon me if I am repeating a question that was already answered...

Everything I have read is concerning kegging this recipe... How well does it bottle? Prime with corn sugar? Prime Dose capsules? Thanks for the info! I'm looking forward to trying this one...

One ounce priming sugar per gallon, and it bottle conditioned well, on the extract version I did. Do it.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

No need to age this beer, just ferment the 3 weeks for full flavor

Yeah, my extract version tasted about the same after a week in the bottle as it did a month. I cannot speak on kegging. i will brew this again in the next week. It's getting into the 80's here in Phoenix, soon to do a Skeeter Pee.

Is this recipe a slow-starter? I pitched at about 5:30 pm yesterday and this morning there was no visible activity.

I rarely have beers starting to ferment within that timeline. Most of the time for me it starts around 24 or more hours. You do kind of want the yeast to take their time repopulating. Be worried at 72 hours.

This may seem silly, or obvious to some, but is the extract recipe for 6 gallons as well?
I just need to know if I need to do some converting down to five.

Also, I wonder if I could pull off a full 6 gallon batch in my 6.5 gal ale bucket. My initial thought is that I wouldn't have enough head space and could possibly blow the lid.

Chef....all yeast work on their own timeline, however within 24 hours if pitched at the proper temp, then some activity will start to happen, within 48 hours a lot of activity should happen.
Medic....yes 6 gallons

Mine seems to have stopped at 1.020. OG was 1.060. I'm not sure though. It's been over a week now since I made it 10 days ago. However I was using my hydrometer in my thief not where I typically use it and I couldn't get it to get off the edge of the thief however it seemed to stay at 1.020.

Should I bother with it or let it keep going? I've still got 20 more days to go on this.

Natural...follow the recipe and check in 3 weeks...yeast eat to there own beat, that's why I put a 3 week date on most of my beers, because most would have done their job by then. At the end of 3 weeks and your beer isn't there the lets discuss options...but take a lesson from The Beatles, and let it be!

Just ordered the ingredients to make a 2 gallon all grain biab batch.... very excited to brew this in a couple of weeks!

I will add this. I left mine in a closet for almost a year at normal house in Texas temperatures, and it had mostly fallen apart. My friend had one I gave him that was stored in a fridge most of that time and it was still okay.

It is best fresh.

I need to keg mine this weekend, but my kegerator is now crapping out and hovering at 52 degrees. A little on the warm side, but not horrible. I don't really feel like bottling it.

Felt like I should add a little info for those having a hard time locating the hops in one spot.
I ordered mine from Amazon.
Before I thought to look on Amazon it was going to cost me nearly 20.00 just in hops because I couldn't find anyone that had both in stock. This meant two seperate shipping charges.
I got them both for 10.00.
Not the cheapest but I was happy with the find.

Back