Lemon flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HebrewPaleAle

Reaction score
This is probably a little premature to be asking this question, but oh well.

I recently tried a lemon pale ale. It was pretty much a sierra nevada pale ale clone and i added a bunch of lemon to it. It's been bottled for about a week now. I had a few 7 oz bottles of it to try so I could get an idea for how it was maturing in the bottle. Anyway I cracked it open last night and the carbonation was fine, and I understand some of the sugars are not done being broken down etc. But the flavor was nice and lemony, the problem is you can't taste the hops that much (I used 1 oz of nugget, cascade, and pellet hops along with 1oz of cascade dry hopped) and the aftertaste is a watered down lemon flavor. I am ok with not being able to taste the hops (although it is a shame) but I don't like the watered down lemon after taste.

Will this go away over time (I know that fruit flavors tend to mellow over time) or is there something I need to do with my next batch to avoid this strange after taste.

I got a slight lemon flavor using Sorachi Ace hops in a Blonde recipe. Something to think about if you go for a lemon ale again.

Latest posts

Back