Lemon Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRob90

Reaction score
I'm thinking about a couple beers I want to brew for this summer and I thought maybe a Blonde Lemon ale or lager would be good. Problem is; I don't know how to get that lemon flavor. What would you suggest?

Adding Lemon juice/zest to the primary or secondary?

Fermenting the beer on actual lemons in the secondary?

Is there anything I can add to the boil that would give it that refreshing lemon flavor? I'm thinking not but maybe there's something I forgot about?

Any ideas or techniques you could offer me would be great, cheers! :mug:

I have had only one lemon beer, it was at a McMennamin's a LONG time ago. The brewer was zesting the lemons straight into the kettle over the last 15 minutes of the boil. The base beer as an American-style wheat, which I normally despise... it was delicious!

Do I can use lemon juice syrup from local store for getting lemon flavor?
For example, use 1L of this syrup instead of simple sugar to end of boiling?

I had a very good pale ale once that used citra and lemongrass that was a great tasting beer. Very lemony.

Last edited:
I do a hefe that uses a hop called lemon drop that leaves just a hint of lemon on your lips.

I did a wheat beer last year that I added lemon zest at flameout and one bottle of Simply Lemonade 5 days after pitch.

I did another with lime zest and Simply Limeade. Both were real crowd pleasers.

I've used lime juice from the grocery store for my try at the dogfish head seaquench ale recipe...

Kinda sorta worked, but I ended up using whole limes and lime zest on the next batch and got the intended results that I couldn't get with just lime juice....

Your results might be different, but I will stick to the real deal from here on out.

Back