Leftovers Recipe Critque

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopcop

Reaction score
I have a bunch of stuff laying around and want to use some up for my next brew. Here is what I came up with but wanted some advice to help formulate a good outcome. I really dont want to buy anything at this point just trying to get rid of my inventory to start fresh. It looks like a stout is in my future.

Grain Bill:
8# 2 Row
1# 14oz Chocolate Malt
8oz Victory
8oz Crystal 80L
4oz Special Roast
4oz Belgian Biscuit
4oz Roasted Barley
4oz Carafoam

Hops:
2oz Magnum 11.6% (60min)
1oz Fuggle 4.4% (10min)
1oz Fuggle 4.4% (flame out)

I have 1028 and 1056 on hand for the yeast. I'm leaning towards the 1028.

Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers

That's a lot of chocolate!

If you don't need to use everything listed, here's an idea...You have about what you need to make a version of my Christmas Tree Ale.

BU:GU 0.75-0.80

8# 2 Row
2 oz Chocolate Malt
4oz Victory
8oz Crystal 80L
4oz Carafoam

Mash at 150-152

Bitter with 1 oz of Magnum for 60.

1.5 oz Fuggles for flameout. Let steep 20 minutes before cooling.

Whitbread at 60-64F for 5 days, then dry hop in primary with .5 oz Fuggles for 3 days. Crash cool on day 8, then package immediately

This is a favorite in my house.

I'd cut the chocolate back to 0.75-1lb and drop all but one of the biscuity types, and you have a pretty nice porter.

Franc103 said:
That's a lot of chocolate!

If you don't need to use everything listed, here's an idea...You have about what you need to make a version of my Christmas Tree Ale.

BU:GU 0.75-0.80

8# 2 Row
2 oz Chocolate Malt
4oz Victory
8oz Crystal 80L
4oz Carafoam

Mash at 150-152

Bitter with 1 oz of Magnum for 60.

1.5 oz Fuggles for flameout. Let steep 20 minutes before cooling.

Whitbread at 60-64F for 5 days, then dry hop in primary with .5 oz Fuggles for 3 days. Crash cool on day 8, then package immediately

This is a favorite in my house.

I gotta say that's a nice recipe. I've just begun understanding the BU:GU to create a balanced beer. I will try that next. I've decided to do a porter. Here it is:

9# 2 Row
14oz Chocolate Malt
8oz Victory
8oz Crystal 80L
4oz Roasted Barley
4oz Carafoam

.75oz magnum 14.6%AA (60min)
1oz Fuggles 4.4%AA (15min)
.5oz Cascade 4.1%AA (10min)
.5oz Cascade 4.1%AA (5min)

1.4L starter 1028 London Ale

OG:1.052-1.061
FG:1.013-1.016
33*SRM
37IBU

I know it's a lot of Chocolate but I like it with this amount of roasted barley. I do a Milk Chocolate Stout that has 2# and it's really nice. I like the bitter flavor from chocolate rather than bumping up the roasted barley. I don't like black patent either. It's just too much for me. So this is a good compromise IMO.

Thanks for the input. It showed me how to look at my ingredients and make a brew.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back