Leftovers IPA - critiques please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
Any redflags?

[size=+2]Leftovers IPA[/size]
[size=+1]14-B American IPA[/size]

10.jpg

Size: 11 gal
Efficiency: 88%
Attenuation: 75%
Calories: 226.9 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.068 (1.056 - 1.075)
|==================#=============|
Terminal Gravity: 1.017 (1.010 - 1.018)
|=====================#==========|
Color: 10.6 (6.0 - 15.0)
|================#===============|
Alcohol: 6.7% (5.5% - 7.5%)
|=================#==============|
Bitterness: 52.57 (40.0 - 60.0)
|==================#=============|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
22 lbs Maris Otter
6 oz Caramel Malt 10L
4 oz Caramel Malt 80L
6 oz Bonlander Munich Malt
4 oz Belgian Aromatic
4 oz Pale Wheat Malt
1 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 45 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
2 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min

[size=+1]Schedule:[/size]
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

00:40:31 Mash In - Liquor: 7.5 gal; Strike: 168.0 °F; Target: 152 °F
01:40:31 Sac Rest - Rest: 60 min; Final: 151.0 °F
01:50:31 Batch Sparge - First Runnings: 0.0 gal sparge @ 151.7 °F, 4.72 gal collected, 0.0 min; Batch 1: 4.0 gal sparge @ 180 °F, 4.0 gal collected, 5 min; Batch 2: 3.5 gal sparge @ 180 °F, 3.47 gal collected, 5 min; Total Runoff: 12.48 gal

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.0.29[/size]

Yeah . . . one comment:

How did you get leftovers like that?! That sounds like a fantastic beer, and that's not the bacon talking. That sound like a truly designed recipe.

I might back off on the time for that 45 min addition, but I like maltier beers. If you want those IBUs, go for it.

TL

Yeah, +1 on the looks awesome! I did one like that not to long ago myself that I had intended to do 2 batches of a pale ale off of... but only had one fermenter open... So I went with the next best option:D

I'm feeling too lazy to input this into my own software, but I think it'd be AWESOME to add ALL of the hops at the 10 minute point. I bet that keeps the IBUs somewhere between 40 and 50. Then dry hop with another ounce each of Cascade and Centennial (if you can). I've been thinking about doing an IPA like that since I read about it somewhere (BYO maybe?). You just jam pack your beer with late addition hops, and it supposedly gives a wonderful flavor and aroma.

If you changed nothing, though, it'd still be a damn good beer!

+1 on late hopping (it makes a huge punch of flavor and aroma - see my IPA recipe), but I don't think you have enough hops to do a fully late hopped beer. I use in the ballpark of 5 ounces in a 5 gallon batch to do a late hopped beer and I still use a bit for the full boil to help boost IBUs.

I'm just not a big fan of 45 and 30 minute additions. I think you are better served moving all the Centennial to 60 minutes, then the rest at 20, 10, and 5. Maybe also holding some over for dry hopping.

I'm sure with the misc specialty malts, it will give an interesting flavor. I prefer my grapefruit IPAs to not be interrupted with unexpected malt flavors. They may compliment each other, but I would not use the belgian aromatic or the wheat. I love the grapefruit too much. My humble input.

Oops. I missed the fact that this is an 11 gallon recipe. You'll need to add more than twice the hops to maintain the correct bitterness if you add them all as late addition hops.

I second Brewmeister's advice about the hops additions. You can ignore my first post in this thread unless you have a lot more hops to dedicate to this recipe.

I like my IPA's around 60-65 IBU's, so I'd change the hop additions as below:

2oz Centennial @ 60mins
1oz Cascade @ 60mins
2oz Cascade @ 30mins
1oz Cascade @ 5mins

This will give you more bitterness, flavor, and the aroma is negligible with the same amount of hops.

Just my thoughts...

:mug:

Spyk'd said:
I like my IPA's around 60-65 IBU's, so I'd change the hop additions as below:

2oz Centennial @ 60mins
1oz Cascade @ 60mins
2oz Cascade @ 30mins
1oz Cascade @ 5mins

This will give you more bitterness, flavor, and the aroma is negligible with the same amount of hops.
I completely disagree. A single oz of Cascade at 5 minutes is just not enough of a late addition in an 11 gallon batch of IPA. If you really want to kick up the bitterness, use 2 oz of Centennial and 1 oz of Cascade at 60 minutes, but skip that 30 minute addition, and save those hops for the last 0-10 minutes.

Yuri_Rage said:
I completely disagree. A single oz of Cascade at 5 minutes is just not enough of a late addition in an 11 gallon batch of IPA. If you really want to kick up the bitterness, use 2 oz of Centennial and 1 oz of Cascade at 60 minutes, but skip that 30 minute addition, and save those hops for the last 0-10 minutes.

I guess I'd rather taste the hops than smell them as well as keep the IBU's up. If it's smell you're after, I'd go out and get another ounce, probably two and dry hop.

:cross:

The REAL problem is that we're trying to put a full size sheet on a queen size bed!

:drunk:

Spyk'd said:
I guess I'd rather taste the hops than smell them as well as keep the IBU's up. If it's smell you're after, I'd go out and get another ounce, probably two and dry hop.

The REAL problem is that we're trying to put a full size sheet on a queen size bed!
Since aroma and flavor are so closely linked, I tend to favor the late addition hops and skip the intermediate additions often labeled as "flavor additions." I make up for any lost bitterness by adding a touch more bittering hops.

You're right, though. For my taste, this recipe needs another ounce or two of hops at a minimum. But, I tend to like those really punchy Pacific IPAs.

Well, the malts are leftovers..

I have about a pound each of centennial pellets and whole leaf Cascade...

I'm going to kick it up a bit and we'll see what happens.

I've also got some 18% AA Warrior that I can use as the bittering and then move all the Cent/Cascade down under the 20 minute mark in order to same some hops in this dire time ;-)

Bobby_M said:
I've also got some 18% AA Warrior that I can use as the bittering and then move all the Cent/Cascade down under the 20 minute mark in order to same some hops in this dire time ;-)
Yea it seems a shame to use hops that have such short supply like Centennial and Cascades only to bump up bitterness. Seems like your Warrior at 60 mins and more of the C's in the last 15 is a better use of hops. Especially given that you want a substantial late hop addition. Otherwise I think the recipe looks really tasty. I like a nice malt backbone for my IPAs to provide some balance.
Craig

Bobby_M said:
The new hop bill, not shown is 1oz of Warrior that was already added at 60min.

IPAhops.jpg
You had some Warrior too. Oh, yea, that changes everthing. Great bittering hop for an IPA - not overly harsh. I think you got it right - use the Warrior for bittering and save those other hops for 20 minutes down to 5 and dry hopping. It should be a good one.

The small amount of Aromatic malt won't clash with the grapefruit, it just adds a touch of body. It won't be overly heavy.

It was a mostly uneventful brewday except for the fact that I was really lazy with my sparge temps. The garage was 50F and I had to store some of the sparge in a bucket for 15 minutes. It lost so much heat that the hottest I ever got the grainbed was 160F. The second sparge dropped it down to 155F. This is the first batch where my brewhouse was under 80% (79 exactly). I had BTP set at 88% so I missed my OG by about 7 points. Dang!!

The hop schedule was actually:

1oz warrior pellet at 60

1oz Centennial pellet
1oz Cascade pellet at 15min

1oz Centennial pellet and
2.5 oz Cascade leaf at 5 min.

I was going to use an extra ounce of cascade at both the 15 and 5 but since I was missing my OG, I scaled back.

Bobby_M said:
It was a mostly uneventful brewday except for the fact that I was really lazy with my sparge temps. The garage was 50F and I had to store some of the sparge in a bucket for 15 minutes. It lost so much heat that the hottest I ever got the grainbed was 160F. The second sparge dropped it down to 155F. This is the first batch where my brewhouse was under 80% (79 exactly). I had BTP set at 88% so I missed my OG by about 7 points. Dang!!

The hop schedule was actually:

1oz warrior pellet at 60

1oz Centennial pellet
1oz Cascade pellet at 15min

1oz Centennial pellet and
2.5 oz Cascade leaf at 5 min.

I was going to use an extra ounce of cascade at both the 15 and 5 but since I was missing my OG, I scaled back.

You brewed without me?!? J/k :p

Enjoy that MO, I wasn't able to get it this time. Instead I got some Crisp pale 2row. Was yours from Harvest Moon?

I would have invited you if I knew it was going to happen. It was a last minute "wife went out with the kids" thing. I used Munton's MO that I got from Gaslight a while back. I'm almost out of that, I think I have 15 or so pounds left.

Bobby_M said:
I would have invited you if I knew it was going to happen. It was a last minute "wife went out with the kids" thing. I used Munton's MO that I got from Gaslight a while back. I'm almost out of that, I think I have 15 or so pounds left.

Yeah no worries. Just text me next time that happens. Do you remember how much Gaslight charged you?

Back