Leftover ingrediant suggestions??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjp36

Reaction score
So, here's the deal. I have some leftover ingredients and I'm looking to throw them into something. There is a pretty blank canvas, since it only some base grain, hops, and yeast (I have no problem picking up additional ingredients)

Grain:
10 lbs of german pils

yeast:
vial of WLP051 - Cal Ale V
cake of Wyeast 3787 Trappist high gravity
cake of Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison

Hops:
2 oz of 16.7%AA Warrior

My thought was something like a Belgian-esque IPA along the line of:

10 lbs pils
1lb amber candi
1 oz warrior @ 60
.5 oz warrior@ 15
.5 oz warrior@ 5
mash around 152
knocked out onto the 3787 cake

OG=1.063 IBU~50

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thoughts:

Don't waste money on the Candisuiker unless you've already got it in-house. If you do, use it up.

Looks like you've got the makings of a decent Tripel or Golden Strong Ale. I'd use Pils and sugar to ~1.080 and one addition of the hops to no more than 20-25 IBU.

Mash low and low to increase fermentability.

Do not just knock out onto the cake. That's the surest way I can think of to suppress ester production to the point that the drinker will say, "Are you sure this is a Belgian?" Harvest slurry from your cakes. Go to Mr Malty and use the Pitching Rate Calculator to determine how much yeast to pitch. Pitch a blend of Trappist High Gravity and Saison, just for craps and ho-hos.

Save the hops for other brews. It's always good to have a supply of high-alpha bittering hops on hand. Use them instead of larger masses of lower-AA% hops in bittering charges.

If you want flavor, and like the flavor of that variety (I've never used it), consider First Wort Hopping.

Have fun!

Bob

Don't waste money on the Candisuiker unless you've already got it in-house. If you do, use it up.

I started making my own candi syrup, so i was planning on using that. I agree the price for the candi rocks is ridiculous.

Looks like you've got the makings of a decent Tripel or Golden Strong Ale.

Haha. This is a very logical suggestion. I should have mentioned that the 3787 cake is currently being used for a tripel. I like the golden stong idea, but i was looking more along the lines of something that won't require extended aging.

Do not just knock out onto the cake. That's the surest way I can think of to suppress ester production to the point that the drinker will say, "Are you sure this is a Belgian?" Harvest slurry from your cakes. Go to Mr Malty and use the Pitching Rate Calculator to determine how much yeast to pitch. Pitch a blend of Trappist High Gravity and Saison, just for craps and ho-hos.

Good suggestion. I've knocked out onto cakes before, but those where relatively neutral strains and i didn't need a lot of esters. I am intrigued by the idea of mixing the 2 strains however. I might just have to do that.

Save the hops for other brews. It's always good to have a supply of high-alpha bittering hops on hand. Use them instead of larger masses of lower-AA% hops in bittering charges.

I've used warrior before for bittering and flavor, but I've always used it in combination with something else. The descriptions all seem to say it has a mild, pleasant aroma which i thought would play nice with the esters from the yeast. Again, just spit balling ideas here.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Back