Left PBW in SS Kettle for a week...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wepeeler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
And now I have a coating of roughness around the bottom going about 4 inches up. It's stubborn and doesn't want to come off. It's very gritty. I've tried more PBW, Dawn, and Star San. If I rub it with my fingers it sort of comes off like wet paper towel. I thought at first I was rubbing my finger prints off, but it's actually a coating. Any one else experienced this? Easy way to clean it up?

Hot water and double strength starsan has definitely dissolved that problem for me.
I figured it might be a passivation issue, but it was definitely a film. Came right off with the vinegar. Hopefully that helps someone else down the road!

To the OP and replies, what is this residue? Calcium? Beer stone?
No clue, but I hadn't deep cleaned the kettle in awhile. I figured I'd let the PBW sit for awhile to do its job. The film was super gritty. Cleaned up in 2 minutes with white vinegar...

Sounds similar to a toilet problem we had. Not trying to sound gross, but we have hard water around my location. Toilet had something in the bowl that just would not scrub off. Turn off water valve to toilet, flush and pour in white vinegar. Problem solved!

BTW, white vinegar and water is good for removing collar stain from shirts. (better than bleach and water). Don't ask how I know.

I routinely use PBW way lower than 150-160. Basically only as hot as our tap water gets, so 115-120ish? Works great to clean the kettle right after brew day. This last time I was lazy and figured I'd let it soak. Good to know about the temps and the rinsing. I'll keep that in mind moving forward!

Back