Left over night question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

ndhowlett

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2007
Messages
121
Reaction score
2
Location
Mountains
Had a buddie brew a beer the same night as me. He decided he wanted the carboy at his house the next day instead of pitching the yeast that night. He put an airlock on it left it there and about 18 hours later came and got it, brought it home and pitched the yeast.

I assume it will be fine because the wort was sealed.

What's your thoughts?
 

Dr Vorlauf

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
534
Reaction score
2
Location
Lehigh Valley,PA
ndhowlett said:
Had a buddie brew a beer the same night as me. He decided he wanted the carboy at his house the next day instead of pitching the yeast that night. He put an airlock on it left it there and about 18 hours later came and got it, brought it home and pitched the yeast.

I assume it will be fine because the wort was sealed.

What's your thoughts?

I am not sure I understand. What did his wanting the carboy have to do with pitching the yeast?

If you had the cooled wort in a sealed carboy with an airlock that was sanitized you should be OK. Ideally you pitch the yeast right after cooling the wort.
 

Orfy

For the love of beer!
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Sep 27, 2005
Messages
11,732
Reaction score
121
Location
Cheshire, England
It should be fine.
The reason for pitching ASAP is that wild yeast and bacteria is airborne and you WILL have some in the head space. If there is sufficient it can take hold before you pitch the brewers yeast and could be the predominant fermenting force.
Probably won't happen within 24 hours but in theory it is a risk.
 

RichBrewer

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Feb 2, 2006
Messages
5,900
Reaction score
212
Location
Denver
Why didn't he just go ahead and pitch the yeast? You should always shoot to pitch the yeast as soon as you reach the correct temperature.
I seriously doubt that waiting over night will have any adverse effect on the beer but why take the chance?
 
OP
ndhowlett

ndhowlett

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2007
Messages
121
Reaction score
2
Location
Mountains
He wanted to pitch the yeast at his home to avoid moving it any further. Would have been challenging and undesirable to do so after fermentation. Also, moving to a secondar, bottling couldn't be done as convieniently.

Thanks for the answers.
 

kinison_fan

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2007
Messages
537
Reaction score
54
Location
Downingtown
He should be fine.
I used to (regularly) let my wort cool overnight, and pitch the yeast the next morning-never had a problem.
 
Top