Left my siphon and tubing in sanitizer for a week...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
I forgot that I had left my auto-siphon and bottling wand and tubing in a bucket of starsan for a week. Whoops! I rinsed everything and hung it up to dry, but the tubing looks a bit cloudy. It it still good to use? Just want to make sure before I bottle tomorrow.

I think you should be fine. Yes, the tubing may cloud up, but it shouldn't hurt anything. Some people claim that Star San eats their tubing and plastic fermenters leaving them slimy. However, I've kind of noticed that undiluted Star San is sold in a PLASTIC container.

I think you'll be fine too. I've left my tubing sit for days in Oxyclean and it too turned cloudy, but have bottle since then with no infections of any sort. Idophore sanitizer turns plastic brown, which is why I quit using it, even though StarSan does make things slimy, but I don't think either one does any real harm to the equipment. I think all three products just alter "cosmetic" aspects if you will, because it doesn't seem to hurt anything. I just dropped the Idophore because it left it looking like a dirty toilet bowl. Give me slimy any day.

star san will leave a coating. its harmless, but you can soak in hot water for hours to remove it.

Back