Siphon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kliffyboy

Reaction score
It’s time for me to bottle my first home brew and realized I don’t have a siphon :/ instead of waiting, has anyone ever had success with a siphon pump from wal mart? I have a bottling wand just totally spaced getting the siphon! Wasn’t sure if anyones used these before? Or am I just crazy haha

Attachments

• B6355895-F8FF-427C-8402-CE96F83B5947.png
    B6355895-F8FF-427C-8402-CE96F83B5947.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Why don't you want to use your bottling wand?

I didn't read the OP as not wanting to use the wand. Two tools for two purposes. Siphon to pull the beer from the fermenter. Wand to fill the bottle.

One could bypass the siphon and use a wand directly on the spout of the fermenter if it's equipped as such.

One could also create their own siphon with plain ol' tubing. Suck on it to prime or fill with Star San. Practice this with a bucket of water, not your precious first batch of beer.

If your beer is in a priming pot then just submerge your sanitized hose in it and let all the air out of the end you hold just above the beer. Then cap the end with your sanitized finger.... probably should be gloved and sanitized finger and get it in position and just let if flow.

You can also just fill it with no-rinse sanitizer or even water you trust and then let it run out into some other container until the beer gets to the end.

Just be sure to keep one end firmly plugged till you have the outflow end lower than the intake. Otherwise that liquid will drain back where you don't want it.

No fancy schmancy gadgets needed.

I'd be a tad worried about the squeeze ball of that thing being a good place for the remaining air in it to mix with your beer and start it on it's path to cardboard tastes.

I started out years ago using a racking cane, tubing, and a hose clamp to rack into a bottling bucket. Fill the tubing and cane with sanitized water, clamp, keep the clamped end under the bucket level, and put the cane in the fermenter. Open the clamp lower than the fermenter. Bend the hose if you don't have a clamp, like you would to quick stop a garden hose.

But I much prefer an autosiphon and have started pressure transferring lately.

Instead of buying an auto-siphon, I'd invest in a stainless racking cane. You buy one for life.
They're easy to prime using water or sanitizer.
Train yourself with a bucket of water or sanitizer before committing to transferring beer.

To help you out now, if you have someone around to hold one end of a 3-4' length pre-primed vinyl tubing under the beer in your fermenter, while you hold the other end in a bottling bucket, you're all set. Sanitize everything including hands before touching beer, etc.

Back