Left my IPA in the secondary too long...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluelinebrewer

Reaction score
I brewed up a Citra IPA about 4-5 months ago. I racked it into the secondary for dry hopping, and left it to set. Well, life got in the way, time got away from me, and now I have this beer, still in the secondary, 4-5 months later. My initial thought is to go ahead and dry hop again for about a week, and go ahead and bottle. Anyone see any issues with this? It's been stored in my fermentation chamber, at a chilly 40*F the entire time. I'm assuming I've lost some hop aroma, thus the re-dry hopping. Suggestions? Concerns? Obligatory RDWHAHBs? Thanks!

Honestly, you wouldn't have had much hop aroma if your temp was that low anyways. Something more in the 65 degree range would work better. As far as the quality of the beer, assuming that everything was sealed/sanitized correctly, I think you'll have a very tasty beer!

You will have lost A LOT of hop flavor, so even if you dry hop again (which I would definately do), it might taste more like an APA than an IPA...but it might be the best beer ever made. Let us know!

Yeah, it had been setting at 65℉ when I dry hopped, then I dropped the temp to add some gelatin to clear it, and that's when life happened! I'll definitely throw some more hops in it, and bottle it up! My second thought was to maybe throw some sour dregs in and let it set for a year or so. But, I'm too impatient for that nonsense!

Here's a radical idea: why don't you taste it and see what you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back