Left Hand Milk Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadChaney

Reaction score
I see there are some older threads referencing this beer, but does anyone has a clone or recipe that is close to the Left Hand version?

That recipe is pretty good. I just tapped the keg on my second brew.

When I brewed it the first time, I thought I had made an outstanding beer. And I had; it was a damn good beer. But when I tasted them side by side, there really was no comparison. It needed more roast and more chocolate. It just didn't have the complexity that the LHMS had.

So, I dialed up the 350L to a pound and definitely got the roast I was looking for. Maybe just a bit too much. But it still needs some chocolate, so I'm going to start researching the best way to add chocolate -- nibs, powder or Hershey's. I'm betting the chocolate will round off the roast just enough.

Here's my take. Just brewed this last night. Reading that thread, I was worried about not enough chocolate. There was a BYO article with Left Hand brewer talking about grainbill.

The relevant bits IMO

“(Milk stouts) are typically not very bitter, so you need to put in a portion of roasted barley, but make sure the portion of chocolate malt is twice as big,” he explains. “The roast will be subtle and you’ll get plenty of color. If you go heavy on the barley, it will actually be bittersweet. It is better to have more chocolate malt and just a nuance of roasted barley. I also think it works out really well when there is a decent amount of caramel in the beer which is probably going to lead you to this
style anyway.”

As for the lactose — which is a fine, granulated sugar — Christoffel is hesitant to say exactly how much Lefthand adds to their brew, but recommends a range between 5% and 13%. “I find it is best to stay within 5–13% lactose. Thirteen percent is extreme and 5% is a nuance,” he says. “But I don’t want to stop anyone from experimenting ... you could still use 2% and it would create an interesting nuance. It really is an interesting ingredient that could be an interesting additive, but I’d shoot for somewhere more to center.”

https://byo.com/stories/item/1155-milk-stout-it-does-a-body-good

Note the Acidulated isn't in the original recipe, that's added for my water profile. Taking that out, you'll see I went for 9% lactose (right in the center of the range described).

Wort pre-fermentation tasted quite nice; sorta like a chocolate latte (lactose, bitter and chocolate). I'm pretty happy with that flavor going into the carboy.

Code:
Style: Sweet Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.74 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal   
Bottling Volume: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.072 SG
Estimated Color: 45.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
7 lbs 13.3 oz         Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (3.0 SRM)   Grain         4        45.6 %        
3 lbs                 Acidulated (Weyermann) (1.8 SRM)         Grain         5        17.5 %        
1 lbs 3.1 oz          Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (508.0 S Grain         6        7.0 %         
15.7 oz               Munich Malt (7.0 SRM)                    Grain         7        5.7 %         
14.4 oz               Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM)   Grain         8        5.2 %         
13.1 oz               Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM)                 Grain         9        4.8 %         
10.5 oz               Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)                   Grain         10       3.8 %         
9.6 oz                Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)               Grain         11       3.5 %         
10.00 g               Magnum [13.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop           12       19.0 IBUs     
17.00 g               Goldings, East Kent  [5.60 %] - Boil 10. Hop           13       2.7 IBUs      
1 lbs 3.4 oz          Milk Sugar (Lactose) [Boil for 10 min](0 Sugar         14       7.1 %         
2.4 pkg               Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)  Yeast         15       -

Back