Left a bunch of sanitizer in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dn151864

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I started my first small batch of beer today. 1 gallon IPA kit. When I sanitized the gallon jug (fermenting bucket) I forgot to dump the sanitizer out afterwards. There was probably 1/4th-1/2 cup of the solution sitting in the bottom. The sanitizer I was using is LD Carlson Easy Clean.

Is this beer completely ruined?

I can't believe I made this mistake, I just wasn't thinking and was rushing around!

Thanks,

It is a no rinse sanitizer, and if you used the correct measurement of 1 tablespoon per gallon when cleaning the jug, I feel that that little of an amount shouldn't cause any harm..

You probably had, at most, 1/2 gram of the cleaner in that 1/4-1/2 cup of sanitizer. That small amount won't hurt the yeast and your beer will be fine, though there might be a slight off-flavor.

There are stories on this forum of people leaving more Starsan than that in fermenters and they ended up with decent beer.

OK, thanks! So it shouldn't make anyone sick, will it cause any off flavors?

It'll probably be ok. That's not too much, even for a gallon.

EDIT: If you want to know if it has off flavors you could take a taste of it right now and you'll know.

Great, thanks everyone for your input! I'll actually post what I think about the flavor when it is done - for anyone else who makes this mistake.

Haha I was thinking the same thing when I wrote that! I'll do my best. I think I'll remember because I'm going to be so worried about the taste from now until the bottles are done. Plus, I had found similar threads on the Internet where people said they would update after tasting it and never did which I found useless in easing my mind.

Lol that's a great way of looking at it. Now you took some of the pressure off!

I keep a bit of starsan in all my kegs to swish around and push out the dip tube before filling. Ive forgotten to get it out of there before racking a beer onto it and can attest that there is no flavor contribution and no issues with health from accidentally adding it to your beer. as long as its reasonable amounts, not like 20% of the batch or more

Update: Just checked the batch this morning. Everything seems fine so far, it's fermenting and percolating like normal. Looks good, no weird colors in the foam!

JUST SO EVERYONE KNOWS - I believe I mentioned this before, but this is a kit. I originally intended to start small batch all-grain brewing. For Xmas I received a small batch kit (1 gallon jug, small siphon, capper, etc.) it came with an extract recipe kit for Will Wheaton's Vandal Eyes PA. I have been brewing for a few years - probably 12+brews in total all of it being extract recipes. I may be more beginner than some after this many years as it's something I love doing but it doesn't consume my life. I'm hoping to get to the "consuming life" part at some point that's why I joined this website a few months ago. Here is a link to the kit I received http://www.northernbrewer.com/wil-wheaton-vandaleyes-pa-small-batch-starter-kit

Side question: there is some yeast stuck to the side of the jug, above the wort. Do I want to stay far away from this when I start bottling? I'm assuming this yeast will eventual spoil, right? Can it ruin the beer if it gets in? I will be dry hopping which could cause that yeast to get into the beer.

I'll update again in a couple day! Maybe if I keep updating you guys I'll remember to give you my impressions of the taste when it's done. Just a heads up, I have never tried this recipe before so I may not be the best judge of flavor. However, I am working on securing the same ingredients again to make this so I can taste test between the two (I'm looking at this as a learning experience).

Try not to disturb that krausen ring above the wort when you bottle. But if some of it drops in it's not that big of a deal. Everything is sanitary inside. You just have to be careful to not have floaties clogging up your siphon.

The other worry with some sanitizers like VWP is that even fairly small amounts can inhibit yeast growth or even stress the yeast out producing off flavours. I think the type you've used is ok although I personally have never used it.

This thread made me paranoid that I forgot to rinse after cleaning my keg, so last night I soaked it and the beer line in some cold water.

Rather than "Left a bunch of sanitizer in fermenter", your post should actually be titled, "Left a bunch of LD Carlson Easy Clean Oxygen based cleanser in fermenter".

While it is a no rinse cleanser, not sure the comparisons to Star San are relevant. Since it is no rinse, likely not dangerous but just perhaps not too tasty....good luck.

Maybe a side benefit will be a good colon cleanse per google ...j/k
http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/cleansing/7-day-oxygen-colon-cleanse

And here is a good read on oxy based cleaners
http://cryptobrewology.com/home-brewing-tips/the-scoop-on-powdered-oxygen-based-cleansers/

So I actually emailed Northern Brewer about this. Their response was "Thanks for contacting us. Star San will not affect the quality of your beer, so no worries there." I'm assuming this must be very similar to Star San since even they are saying "Star San".

So I actually emailed Northern Brewer about this. Their response was "Thanks for contacting us. Star San will not affect the quality of your beer, so no worries there." I'm assuming this must be very similar to Star San since even they are saying "Star San".

No, it's not similar to star san at all...star san is an acid sanitizer, and easy clean is an oxygen cleanser.

The person at NB should be embarrassed if you explained the problem properly.

Sorry I'm no help with regard to the severity of the situation. The toxicity of easy clean oxygen cleanser is beyond the judgement of the NB sales associate on the phone, especially if they refer to it as star san.:confused:

Here's how similar Star San and Easy Clean are:

StarSan: Acid Sanitizer - contains Phosphoric Acid and Dodecylbenzenesulphonic Acid

Easy Clean: Powder Bleach Destainer - contains Sodium Percarbonate & Sodium Sulfate

Both of these products can be harmful if swallowed. There is a wide range of possible results from ingesting it. It all depends on how much is ingested, so blanket statements about its safety are meaningless.

Update:

Just tasted the beer this weekend. Tastes totally fine! Granted, i don't have anything to compare it to but I didn't get sick and it tastes like a Double IPA.

Side question: has anyone ever used fermenter's favorite fizz drops? Do you find that they make your beer sweet? I found my IPA to be a little sweet which was odd and I'm wondering if it is due to the Fizz Drops. Thoughts?

Thanks again!

Update:

Just tasted the beer this weekend. Tastes totally fine! Granted, i don't have anything to compare it to but I didn't get sick and it tastes like a Double IPA.

Side question: has anyone ever used fermenter's favorite fizz drops? Do you find that they make your beer sweet? I found my IPA to be a little sweet which was odd and I'm wondering if it is due to the Fizz Drops. Thoughts?

Thanks again!

Its nto the fizz drops. those are 100% fermentable. common causes of sweet IPAs (which is a fault IMO IPAs need to be dry to showcase hop character)
- extract beers cant get to low FG sometimes
- too high a mash temp
- too much crystal malt (+5%)
- poor yeast selection and/or yeast performance

Back