Quantcast

Leaving Town-Bottle or Cake?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

masskrug

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2012
Messages
1,449
Reaction score
246
I have an oatmeal stout (1.060) that has been sitting in primary for nearly 2 weeks. I haven't checked FG, but I'm pretty sure it will be done by the time I leave next week.

So...Do I leave it on the yeast cake while I am gone for 2 weeks? I have no temperature control, so it will sit at room temperature (~75').

-or-

Do I go ahead and bottle? (I have no secondary, unless you recommend I secondary into the bottling bucket).

Which idea best conditions the beer?

Thanks for your help!
 

Effingbeer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2011
Messages
244
Reaction score
19
Letting it sit for 5 weeks in primary will not hurt. But if you bottle just before you leave, when you get back they should be just about ready to drink!
 
OP
masskrug

masskrug

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2012
Messages
1,449
Reaction score
246
Damn I wish more people would chime in. I have two days left to decide; bottle after two weeks, or let it ride on the cake for an additional two weeks. I have met F.G. I just want to know what is best for conditioning and flavor. Is there any risk of infection sitting at ~75 with no temperature control.

Thanks!
 

histo320

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2008
Messages
1,252
Reaction score
134
Location
Manteno, IL
IMO if you have reached FG then go ahead and bottle if you feel the need too.

I don't think you risk infection as long as you have sanitizer in your airlock.

Either way I don't think you can go wrong.
 

el_caro

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2011
Messages
606
Reaction score
34
If all decisions were this easy.

Either will be ok but in your position I would probably take Revvy's advice.
 

RmikeVT

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2012
Messages
906
Reaction score
156
Location
Baltimore
I would leave in primary while you are gone and bottle when you get back.
 

LegitBrew

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2011
Messages
62
Reaction score
18
Location
Knoxville
^agree with everything above. let it lie a while longer = no problemo. going ahead and bottle now = no problemo. dealers choice. it will not make a major difference either way.
 
OP
masskrug

masskrug

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2012
Messages
1,449
Reaction score
246
Thanks for easing my mind! I'll take this advice and let it rest:

John: But these days we don't recommend secondary transfer. Leave it in the primary, you know, a month. Today's fermentations are typically healthy enough that you are not going to get autolysis flavors or off-flavors from leaving the beer on the yeast for an extended period of time.

I'll let you know how things turn out in January.
 
OP
masskrug

masskrug

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2012
Messages
1,449
Reaction score
246
Update: Bottled this today with no ill effects. Popped the fermenter top and everything looked, smelled and tasted fine. Added some coffee to the bottling bucket and the sample was good. Looking forward to tasting this one in three weeks.
 

Hackwood

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2011
Messages
664
Reaction score
68
Location
Phoenix
Just found this thread and glad it has worked out. Reading through I would have left it in primary and bottled when I got back. Just what you did. Either would have been good though. Now, just leave it in the bottles for months and months and months and you'll love it.
 
Top