Leaves turning yellow = too sunny or too wet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klinus

Reaction score
Hi! Last spring I gave away some plants as a gift, but one of them was so small and ugly I decided to keep it. It grew a little last year, and then i forgot it on the balcony over the winter, but to my surprise it survived and started growing pretty well this spring. I've moved and now live in an apartment with a big window facing south, so I've kept it there, thinking it needed a lot of sun. I only have it in a pot, so I dont expect it to yield any big harvest, I just want the little fellow to survive.

But suddenly it has gotten yellow and started to dry out. I think I have been pretty good at water him every day so my question is: have I been TOO good, or is it the sun that is too strong? Or can it be something else?
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1496082437.184735.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1496082457.789832.jpg

Too much water is likely. You may also want to try a much bigger pot if you have room.

I discovered recently that my apartment windows have such strong UV blocking that the affective sunlight does not seem to be the same as having them in previous windows. Seems to make it hard to have house plants. Just a possibility.

I grow hops in pots rather far from any window or strong light source, and they do "just fine". And by that, I mean they mostly "look" fine, they don't grow very fast though.

Back