Leave hops in freezer for 5 weeks? Bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcleanmj

Reaction score
I'm living in Canada and heading to the states for 5 weeks around Christmas. When I return I have a mandatory 14 day in house quarantine for covid. I want to brew right away when I get back so I was thinking of getting all the ingredients before I leave and storing them. I want to make a session NEIPA with citra, galaxy, and mosaic. The hops would have to sit in the freezer for 5 weeks while I'm gone. Is this a bad idea? Should I just wait to brew until after quarantine to get the freshest hops? Of course I could brew something else but my wife requested a session NEIPA and I can turn one around in 6 or 7 days during quarantine (using voss kviek).

Thanks and cheers

Hi,

Good point! I should have specified - they would not be vacuum sealed. Unfortunately, I am only able to buy lose hops locally. Ordering hops from other provinces is an option, but the price difference and cost of shipping are just abhorrent.

Thanks and cheers

Hi,

Good point! I should have specified - they would not be vacuum sealed. Unfortunately, I am only able to buy lose hops locally. Ordering hops from other provinces is an option, but the price difference and cost of shipping are just abhorrent.

Thanks and cheers

How is your local shop storing them? I would not trust the quality of hops that weren't vacuum sealed.

Another option is to get a vacuum sealer - they're not too spendy these days, and seal them up yourself. I've been doing that for a while - any time | get hops in anything other than the manufacturer vacuum sealed packs, I do it and throw in the freezer. I've had year old plus hops that don't taste or smell any different than fresh.

Storing hops in a freezer is a GOOD idea. And 5 weeks is not long at all. You are good to go!
Be careful and take extra Covid precautions. As you probably know, the U.S. is experiencing an explosion of cases. Nova Scotia is much better currently.

Another option is to get a vacuum sealer - they're not too spendy these days, and seal them up yourself. I've been doing that for a while - any time | get hops in anything other than the manufacturer vacuum sealed packs, I do it and throw in the freezer. I've had year old plus hops that don't taste or smell any different than fresh.

This! I only buy in bulk, vacuum seal them in needed quantities, and store than in a dedicated freezer. Some have been there for as long as 2 years with no noticeable changes in aroma or taste.

Thanks everyone for your replies, much appreciated. A vacuum sealer and getting hops in bulk are definitely a great idea.

Supply chain and accessibility for homebrewing are more limited here than in the US (in my experience). Outside of paying really hefty shipping fees, I'm stuck with the local homebrew store I've got. However, I am very pleased with them overall. The way they store and sell hops is strange and questionable, though. They buy them in bulk and then fill up smaller Tupperware containers of loose hops and put them in a fridge. Here is a picture below. Despite this, all of the hops I have ever purchased have been very fresh, pungent, and satisfactory. So, I'll probably buy up what I need, get it stored well and brew myself a batch upon returning.

RE crossing the border. I've been following this all year and after speaking with multiple border authorities I've found myself a sort of loop hole - all US citizens are permitted to cross from Canada to the US despite the border closure, and any Canadian residents with valid and ongoing work visas are allowed to cross from the US to Canada. I've got both, so going for it. I've got a 1 year old son (born in Canada) that's never met his family, so we decided to bite the bullet and go back to the states despite the shitty situation. Plan is mostly to lay low and brew and drink a lot of beer with my dad.

Cheers and all the best.

Attachments

• 20201004_105555.jpg
    20201004_105555.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 67
Fyi, hops are only harvested once a year. All the hops you can get now are older than 5 weeks. As stated before, vacume sealed and in the freezer will preserve them the longest. RDWHAHB

I've got a 1 year old son (born in Canada) that's never met his family, so we decided to bite the bullet and go back to the states despite the shitty situation. Plan is mostly to lay low and brew and drink a lot of beer with my dad.

Cheers and all the best.
As a grandfather and home brewer, the visit sounds great. We had a 13-month-old granddaughter with us last Christmas and it was delightful. (oh, her parents were also there.) I wish you the best.

By the way, I'm currently drinking a good pale ale that was hopped with Fuggles and East Kent Goldings that were in one pound pouches that have been open for more than six months. Between uses they're folded, taped with masking tape, and put in a resealable plastic bag in the freezer. I used the last of those hops when I brewed last Monday.

Last edited:
2 homebrew shops i used to shop stored their hops the same way... in large Tupperware type containers in the freezer. I never thought twice about it at the time because, like you, they seemed fine.
I now get most of my US grown hops through bulk buys and I store them in ziplock bags in the freezer. I purge all the air out of the bag then put it in another bag and I've never had issues. I've stored hops for a lot longer than 5 months too.
Are there any brew shops by your dads? Could you buy some while you're in the US and bring them back? Or, could your dad mail order some to his house for you? That way the hops will be sealed and ready to go when you get home.

Either way you go though you'll be fine.

While in the states order on line from Yakima Hops or other hop online hop provider. The hops come in all different sizes and the prices are really good. once you open a bag just vacuum seal it for next time they last forever.

RE crossing the border. I've been following this all year and after speaking with multiple border authorities I've found myself a sort of loop hole - all US citizens are permitted to cross from Canada to the US despite the border closure, and any Canadian residents with valid and ongoing work visas are allowed to cross from the US to Canada. I've got both, so going for it. I've got a 1 year old son (born in Canada) that's never met his family, so we decided to bite the bullet and go back to the states despite the shitty situation. Plan is mostly to lay low and brew and drink a lot of beer with my dad.

Cheers and all the best.

Good luck be safe. The U.S. is red hot right now, especially due to the holidays. It's going to get worse. Stay outside as much as possible.

PS, your hops are fine

I think you should encourage your brew shop to buy a vacuum sealer. They're doing their customers a disservice storing hops that way.

I think you should encourage your brew shop to buy a vacuum sealer. They're doing their customers a disservice storing hops that way.
I also shop at the same LHBS. It's unlikely they are going to change anything soon.

Lately I've been buying 0.5 or 1.0 lb. bags of hops elsewhere then splitting them into smaller vacuum sealed bags and throwing them in the freezer.

You guys should check on Yakima valley if your homebrew supply is letting you down, or if you want to save some money. They are sort of a hop wholesaler that sells to individuals. For example, right now they have 2019 Cascade or Centennial on sale for $5/lb. They come in mylar bags and are filled with nitrogen. You can get 10lbs of hops for next to nothing from them.

https://yakimavalleyhops.com/collections/cyber-week-sales/products/cyber-flash-sales

Thanks everyone for all of your replies! Buying hops while in the states is a great idea, but I doubt Canadian border control would allow me to bring hops. I'll call them and ask. If they do, I will get a couple pounds from Yakima.

Cheers and stay safe!

Back