Least favorite style?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
homebrewer_99 said:
... whenever I sample a B A R L E Y W I N E -- I just think it's a waste of enough malt to make a couple good batches of beer...:D

Same here! Pumpkin and vanilla also make my list.

Not a fan of fruit beers, at least those I've tried thus far. I forget the company that produced the last Cherry Kriek I tried, but I couldn't even finish it. It tasted like cough syrup mixed with beer. If that's blasphemy I'm sorry lol, but it was really bad. So far I'm not too big on Trappist either, but maybe they'll grow on me, it wouldn't be the first time a beer has done that.

I have to agree with most of you on the fruit beer. I made one in March and really didn't like the honey-blueberry taste. It kept making me think it was spoiled even though it wasn't. Just a bit too young.

I sampled the 2nd to last one last night. I was pretty crisp. The blueberry smell was strong once opened and poured, then it disipated. It wasn't to bad at 9 months. The taste was strictly blueberry, no weird yeasty flavor as was earlier. I wouldn't make it again, but I wouldn't be embarrassed to share it with somebody.

I brew a lot of my batches in 2.5 gallon sizes so I don't have too much one particular flavor. Three gallon PET carboys are perfect for this. $5 at Lowes w/ water! A cheap better-better bottle.

The style I like the least is the commercial malt liquiors.

I think my beer preferences are very seasonal. I don't want a Mexican beer in the winter unless on the beach in Cancun. Same goes with a Guiness in July after lawn mowing.

Winter; Malty heavy bodied, porters, bocks & stouts
Spring; Pale Ales & Lagers made in fall or winter, Maibocks, IPAs
Summer; Lighter Lagers & Pale Ales
Fall; Summer Ale, Hefe's, Octoberfest, Rauchbier, Cider,

I have a major sweet tooth, so I like massive, malty beers. The only beers I really don't like (and please don't kill me for saying this) are ones that are hugely hopped without any balance, e.g. certain IPAs. It can be hoppy if it has enough malt to equalize, like a lot of Imperial IPAs. Also, any imported beers that come in green bottles are a no go. I suppose they might be okay closer to the source, however.

the_bird said:
That's no fun.

I propose, and this ought to be in the FFB thread, that if someone is unable to bottle their own (or if they have nothing but chocolate and vanilla beer to offer - I'M TALKING TO YOU, P-FUNK! - then a selection of *local* microbrews is acceptable. Something I can't get around here.

Oh, and may I say... P...freakin'...SHAW!

I've got, at the moment: Pumpkin Ale, Baltic Porter, and Sweet Potato Ale. By the time the end of the league comes around, I'll have something else as well, most likely.

As to what to send me (assuming I win- and notice how kind I was allowing those other two to have their fantasy...) I'm not picky. Local commercial brews are fine if you don't bottle.

As long as it comes with The Love. And, of course, an acknowledgment of my FFB Beginner's Luck Awesomeness.

I'm a fan of the German purity law - water hops malt and yeast. So like a lot of you, not a big fan of the fruit beers, pumpkin-choco-chili-coffee-jellybean beers. That being said, I especially do NOT like wheat beers, of just about any kind - not really sure why, just don't. About the most wheat that would ever go into a beer of mine is <1 lb. for head retention purposes only. - Oh, and as posted on a different thread, Old Style is my favorite pisswater beer (with salt) - Call it a flaw in my character - I do - I can't help that I was a teenager in the Chicago area many many moons ago....

flubdubman said:
I'm a fan of the German purity law - water hops malt and yeast. So like a lot of you, not a big fan of the fruit beers, pumpkin-choco-chili-coffee-jellybean beers. That being said, I especially do NOT like wheat beers, of just about any kind - not really sure why, just don't. About the most wheat that would ever go into a beer of mine is <1 lb. for head retention purposes only. - Oh, and as posted on a different thread, Old Style is my favorite pisswater beer (with salt) - Call it a flaw in my character - I do - I can't help that I was a teenager in the Chicago area many many moons ago....

I got to agree with you on the wheat. There are very few wheat beers that I like. I also do not like most flavored beers. I tried Old Style for the first time in July when I was at a Cubs game.

On a side note, my dad served in Guam during the Vietnam war. I'm sure it hasn't changed a whole lot!

On a side note, my dad served in Guam during the Vietnam war. I'm sure it hasn't changed a whole lot!
Some would say that... still a little third worldish, but I don't think so... I'm gonna cry when I have to leave soon.
When you watching a ****ty team, you may as well drink ****ty beer
Sigh...
Last time I was at a game, Harry Carey sang (or slurred and sloshed, actually) take me out to the ball game...

If it tastes or smells of clove, I don't want to be in the same room with it. Got to say any beer that reeks of clove is my least favorite.:mad:

I'd have to say belgians are up there for me too, at least the quadrupels. I have yet to find one I have any desire to drink, and any other beers that have rasin/date flavors, can't do those either (had a few doppelbocks that fall into this range). Basically any beer that takes on complex wine/sherry like tones, doesn't do it for me.

Wow, my tastes are quite contrary to mosts. While I'm not a fruit-beer guy, I love wheats and belgians.

Cheesefood said:
Wow, my tastes are quite contrary to mosts. While I'm not a fruit-beer guy, I love wheats and belgians.

I haven't had fruit beers so I can't really comment, but Belgians and wheats are some of my favorites. Honestly, I like most beers, as long as it has a flavor to it. Some beers that I didn't like drinking alone were pretty good if drunk with a meal.

Torchiest said:
I have a major sweet tooth, so I like massive, malty beers. The only beers I really don't like (and please don't kill me for saying this) are ones that are hugely hopped without any balance, e.g. certain IPAs. It can be hoppy if it has enough malt to equalize, like a lot of Imperial IPAs. Also, any imported beers that come in green bottles are a no go. I suppose they might be okay closer to the source, however.

I couldn't agree more on super-hopped beers so fear not. If you get next to no malt flavor, but have the overabundance of hops then you're missing half the beer. I mean if you're going to go over the top with the hops, then go to the wall with the malt! (pardon me, I've been into the BMC this afternoon during outside leaf maintenance and I've apparently lost my mind and started rhyming. :drunk: ) I mean to ME anyway DFH's 60 and 90 IPA's are pretty nasty. I used to like IPA's but I don't enjoy them nearly as much as I used to. Dunno why. I'll take a nice firm Porter or Stout please. Thank You. ;)

Ize

I mean if you're going to go over the top with the hops, then go to the wall with the malt!
Me Three! I love my hops, but it has to be balanced... Actually, I think I would take an under-hopped very matly beer before I'd take an overhopped not so malty beer. Shoot, for that matter I like that Goya drink, malted milk balls, malt powder for making shakes... do those count too? In fact, I'll just go all out and say anything that starts with an M... MoonPies, Muskmelon, Mead, its all good.:drunk:

Well I guess I'll chime in.
I'm to the point where I don't want any additional flavors, spices, fruit, or anything else that makes the beer not taste like beer.

Ize said:
I couldn't agree more on super-hopped beers so fear not. If you get next to no malt flavor, but have the overabundance of hops then you're missing half the beer. I mean if you're going to go over the top with the hops, then go to the wall with the malt! (pardon me, I've been into the BMC this afternoon during outside leaf maintenance and I've apparently lost my mind and started rhyming. :drunk: ) I mean to ME anyway DFH's 60 and 90 IPA's are pretty nasty. I used to like IPA's but I don't enjoy them nearly as much as I used to. Dunno why. I'll take a nice firm Porter or Stout please. Thank You. ;)

Ize

Funny you should mention the Dog Fish Head. I can't stand the 60min but I actually like the 90min pretty well, specifically because it has so much more malt to it. Same goes for Arrogant Bastard. Really hoppy, but there's enough other stuff going on in there that I can drink it. The funny thing is, since I've started brewing, smelling the hops has made me a TINY bit more tolerant of the hop bitterness. I think that it's possible that I might come to enjoy hoppier beers more and more as I go along. We'll see.

I thought the DFH 60 did have a decent balance. The IPAs I've had recently that I thought could use more malt backbone were Hop Devil and Hop Rod Rye.

the_bird said:
I thought the DFH 60 did have a decent balance. The IPAs I've had recently that I thought could use more malt backbone were Hop Devil and Hop Rod Rye.

Never had Hop Devil, but Hop Rod I like, which is odd. I noticed that the hop flavor really hits hard at the beginning when it's cold, but as it warms up, the malt and other flavors really come on. But I have to agree, it could use a bit more as far as the malt is concerned.

Ize

I'd probably like Hop Rod more now that I've been drinking more and more IPAs. The rye, too, seems to lend a bit of harshness that takes a bit of acclimation. I didn't dislike it, it just took a long time to finish the bomber and I'm not running out to buy more.

I think the reason I really like Walker's IPA is that it has plenty of malt (eight pounds of DME) to offset all the hops. I want my IPAs to be big all around.

I don't know what took me so long to respond to this one.......
Hmmm....

Like:

Kolsch, brown ale, American Red, Wheat, Hefe, Bock, Belgian abbey, Pilsener & a bunch more.....

Dislike:

Porter, Stout, IPA, Witbier

I realize that my dislikes put me into the minority of homebrewers' tastes, but oh, well:)

ablrbrau said:
Dislike:

Porter, Stout, IPA, Witbier

I realize that my dislikes put me into the minority of homebrewers' tastes, but oh, well:)

ANd your love of the Pack puts you in disfavor with most of the world. :cross:

Which Porter do you dislike the most? Joey, Jerry, Willy...???

the_bird said:

I can't stand Hop Devil. Another one that goes off the deep end is Anchor Liberty. I love Anchor Porter though.

Holiday spiced beers for me. I don't think I've tried one yet that I really liked. There's always too much cinnamon, nutmeg or something that overpowers. I've had a couple winter warmers that had some spruce in it that I would put in the same catagory. I like a good, strong ale, but don't go wrecking it with spices and hunks of pine trees. Oak, however is a different story...;)

Samichlaus!!! No matter how hard I try, I can't stomach the stuff.

I'm also not a huge fan of IPA though I've not sampled very many.

Funny how everyone likes beers but most of us have at least one style they dislike that someone else couldn't do without.

I like just about anything, including Belgians, Hefes, fruit beers (at least, the ones I make myself - I've never tasted a commercial one that suits me - they are all too sweet), and especially pale ales of almost every type. My new favorite commercial beers: Yeungling Chsterfield Ale, Flying Fish...anything, Stoudt's whatever. Who would know I was from Philly, right? I only like local stuff. I had some SNPAs - more than once - and I think they are either over-rated or just don't travel well. But I didn't dislike them.

Dislikes? Not many. Stouts head the list. I just don't get them with Guiness leading the parade. Scotch Ales also mystify me. I don't know why i would make them when so many superior ales (according to my tastes anyway) can be made with no more or less work.

I don't like lagers. The only exception is a dobblebock. Don't even care for baltic porters (and I love me a dark beer).

I might get crucified, but I don't get heavily hopped beers. An pale ale, sure, but once the IBUs start soaring...eh. I don't dislike them, but I don't get them. The double/triple IPAs? Where to begin with them...

George Killians red. Yuck! Nasty.. If I want that much spice with my beer Ill eat a pizza.

I just had a McEwens Scotch Ale last night. And well, that just about tops my list of beers I don't like.

I'm a little too new of a homebrewer to have tried so many styles, but I will say that I like IPA the best, because of the hops.

My wife went home to Maine for a couple of weeks and tried the Seadog Blueberry Wheat and loved it. Now, she wants me to make something like that--and some cider. But after reading posts on this thread, I'm having second thoughts on making the fruity beers. She might have to settle for the commercial ones.

I tried a sixer of the SA Cherry Wheat, but didn't care too much for the cherry. Too much like cough syrup.

After reading 8 pages of posts, I'v forgotton if this thread is about least favorite or favorite.
Anyway, I'd say my least favorite (again, I haven't had that many) is pumpkin/spicy beer. It's okay, but I wouldn't want 5 gallons of it.

desiderata said:
My wife went home to Maine for a couple of weeks and tried the Seadog Blueberry Wheat and loved it. Now, she wants me to make something like that--and some cider. But after reading posts on this thread, I'm having second thoughts on making the fruity beers. She might have to settle for the commercial ones.

I would strongly, STRONGLY recommend that you make her a batch of blueberry wheat, or something else she would enjoy even if you don't drink it. Lot easier to get "permission" for the new propane burner or kegs or new fridge or whatever if you're bribing her with stuff that she enjoys.... :D

I have a mocha stout that I cannot stand, but SWMBO loves it, so I'm sure it's on the to-do list when supplies start running low...

the_bird said:
I would strongly, STRONGLY recommend that you make her a batch of blueberry wheat, or something else she would enjoy even if you don't drink it. Lot easier to get "permission" for the new propane burner or kegs or new fridge or whatever if you're bribing her with stuff that she enjoys.... :D

I have a mocha stout that I cannot stand, but SWMBO loves it, so I'm sure it's on the to-do list when supplies start running low...

Ha, ha! Good point!!

Back