Least favorite style?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BMC and any yellow beer with there exceptions: hefe, kolsh, and lambic.

My rule of thumb: The more difficult it is to see through, the better.

Some people might think I'm crazy, but I'm not a big fan of Belgian Wits. I don't really like "banana esters" in my beer... if I wanted to taste bananas, I would eat a banana!

I wondered the same thing. My scottish ale is an 80. I love it.

I'm going to take a wild guess that its too peaty for his taste.

I'm becoming less and less a fan of flavored beers generally.

P-Funk, I love ya man, but your Choco-Vanilla combo does nothing for me :D

I think a lot of this may stem from my mocha stout, which I just can't drink. Too much coffee, too much chocolate, not enough beer.

Well, I have to admit, I don't know what I'll think of the Black and White either; it's an experiment in a totally different style of beer. I think it's one of those things that you have to approach with a completely open mind.

Other than that... what don't I like... Corona. I can't dig Corona at all. I hate it more, in fact, than I do BMC (which I will tolerate, or outright enjoy if they're cheap-to-free at a dive bar)

I've drunk Rauchbier at the Schlenklera all day long, but whenever I sample a B A R L E Y W I N E -- I just think it's a waste of enough malt to make a couple good batches of beer...:D

Yes, I've had EKU 28 many times too, but I drank it from shot glasses.;)

I lived in Germany for 9 years and I have to admit (with a bit of embarrassment) that I went to a gasthaus for lunch and stayed all day and even had diner there. On more than a dozen occasions I went there for diner and stayed til closing.:D

I know, call me "dedicated"...;)

homebrewer_99 said:
I've drunk Rauchbier at the Schlenklera all day long, but whenever I sample a B A R L E Y W I N E -- I just think it's a waste of enough malt to make a couple good batches of beer...:D

Yes, I've had EKU 28 many times too, but I drank it from shot glasses.;)

I lived in Germany for 9 years and I have to admit (with a bit of embarrassment) that I went to a gasthaus for lunch and stayed all day and even had diner there. On more than a dozen occasions I went there for diner and stayed til closing.:D

I know, call me "dedicated"...;)

Hi, my name is Bill and I have a problem. It got to be so bad that I've posted over 5,000 times on a brewing website.

Cheesefood said:
Hi, my name is Bill and I have a problem. It got to be so bad that I've posted over 5,000 times on a brewing website.
Problem? What problem? (denial?) ;) Hey, it's 5 o'clock SOMEWHERE!!!:D :mug:

Sampling my pumpkin beer at the moment.......note to self, nechsxt jear mak e a boulde bi-atch......:D

rod said:
chocolate jalepeno ale:eek:

Youve tried that too? Ive made it, more or less following the "Goat Scrotum" recipe in papazians book.

Didnt learn my lesson the first time, so I made it again. I cant seem to get rid of them.

:mug:

- magno

magno said:
Youve tried that too? Ive made it, more or less following the "Goat Scrotum" recipe in papazians book.

Didnt learn my lesson the first time, so I made it again. I cant seem to get rid of them.

:mug:

- magno

Tell me you're making the Chickenbrau.

I need to make some Skittlebrau.

I have given some thought to the chickenbrau, only it would be a turkeybrau, like for thankgiving. Three gallons of that, and three gallons of a garlic pale ale, uncarbonaed for cooking.

I love beer- almost all kinds. The few I don't like are fruit beers and hefeweissens. I guess I don't like fruity flavors in my beer at all. I laugh when the guys on the board are talking about making a beer for their wives and all the suggestions are for lambics, or hefeweissens. Yuck! Like winecoolers, they are "beercoolers".

I don't like really sweet beers either- there is a micro in Houghton, Michigan that has a brown ale that looks and smells great. When you taste it, though, WAY too sweet for me.

I like stouts, porters, amber ales, bitters, IPAs, etc. I love malty flavors, as well as really hoppy beers. My all time favorite beer of all time is Capital Brewery's Blonde Dopplebock, but for regular drinking I like SN's pale ale. That's a good one!

What was the question again? oh yeah, least favorite style- hefeweissen.

Lorena

Belgians, heavily hopped ales where the style is about malts (Widmer's NW Red 06 is a good example, nice beer, but NOT what I'm looking for in a Red), mega-imperial everything, soda-pop fruit beers.

I don't really like pale ales. I love a good IPA, but a normal pale ale is just not very good. Even something like a Bass or SNPA, they are just not for me.

checkertp2.jpg

olllllo said:

Ick - that stuff is the WORST! My step dad used to drink that piss. Even on nights when I was hammered, came home, and wanted just ONE more, I couldn't drink Old Style.

I'd take a sip, cringe, and pour the rest down the drain.

Any fruit beer and especially holiday spiced. Pumpkin? <yack>..

My hand is forced by swmbo to do those apricots in my sig and now she doesn't like them much and I got 3 cases worth!

I have to say, I've gotten pretty picky in a way. I guess I've just come to realize that no matter how cool I think certain styles sound, I just don't like how they taste. For example:

smoked beer - tried to like the 22 I drank of it, but just couldn't. Had to toss it.

barleywines - way too powerful a taste. I like the idea a lot, but I just don't like the taste at all. It seems cloying and overpowering. Wish I dug it, but it's just not for me.

Belgians - this one is a bummer. I used to like belgians quite a bit. Then I made one and fermented with too high a temp, I think. It came out smelling and tasting like a volcano--all sulfur. After I drank it my piss smelled like mt. st. helen's. (not that I was trying to smell my piss, but it was unusually strong smelling). Ever since I've had trouble enjoying any brew that has a hint of that sulfury taste.

I have to say, I tend to avoid most "big" beers, over 1.065 at least. I like the 4-5% range, usually. Pale ales, hefs, bitters and ESBs in the lower part of the range, and especially amber and irish ales--those are my favorites. Why not spread that gravity out over several pints, I say. :D

Cheers!

monk

desertBrew said:
Pumpkin? <yack>..

Ya, I'm not a fan either. I'm REALLY glad I bought a commercial offering before brewing my own. Having 5 gallons of that to get rid of would be painful.

I like some fruit beers - like Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, but can only have one or two before the taste becomes too much.

rdwj said:
I like some fruit beers - like Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, but can only have one or two before the taste becomes too much.

New Man Law for me. I don't make fruit beers for the wife, I buy them by the 6 pack for her. Done with that :).

Oh and I won't be sending the apricots to the FFB winners either. That'd be an embarrasing statement of my brewmanship and probably get me banned.

desertBrew said:
New Man Law for me. I don't make fruit beers for the wife, I buy them by the 6 pack for her. Done with that :).

Oh and I won't be sending the apricots to the FFB winners either. That'd be an embarrasing statement of my brewmanship and probably get me banned.

I have no idea what to send the winner - I don't own any bottling equip. I may have to pick up a beer gun and a capper.

desertBrew said:

Send them to Scrotum Puppies II. That can be the booby-prize brew.

rdwj said:
I have no idea what to send the winner - I don't own any bottling equip. I may have to pick up a beer gun and a capper.

I'll take some Goose Island IPA instead.

EDIT: damn! bird beat me to it!

todd_k said:
I'll take some Goose Island IPA instead.

EDIT: damn! bird beat me to it!

I'll figure something out - a decent commercial is an option. But honestly, it might be cheaper for me to just send off a check or paypal payment and let you pick out a 12er of your own.

That's no fun.

I propose, and this ought to be in the FFB thread, that if someone is unable to bottle their own (or if they have nothing but chocolate and vanilla beer to offer - I'M TALKING TO YOU, P-FUNK! - then a selection of *local* microbrews is acceptable. Something I can't get around here.

P Funky mentioned Corona. I'll say 'Sol' as the lamest excuse for a commercial beer i've found - even duller and fizzier than our 'usual targets of derision'.

Worst tasting beer I've had recently however was a Kronenbourg 'Blanc'.

Good pale colour, nice carbonation, Smelt of citrus - Okay.

Tasted like natural yogurt - BAD.

Whole glass went down the sink. I read a few reviews to see if it was just a bad bottle i'd got or if my taste buds were out. Everyone said 'fruity' but then someone mentioned it tasted like vomit! NASTY!!!!!

Back