Learning to drink high ABV beer the hard way

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountryGravy

Reaction score
I remember the first time I had an Imperial stout. It was a Sam Adam's Imperial series, and I hated it. I split the four pack with a couple of friends, and then proceeded to drink myself into oblivion on Guinness and Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat.

In those days, I thought I was a real beer snob drinking Sam Adam's, Guinness, and New Castle Brown. I had grown to hate the beers I drank in college, and had moved on to drinking irresponsible amounts of slightly more expensive and much more flavorful beers.

Within the last two years I began to experiment with true craft beers. However, I stayed away from IPA's and most higher ABV beer's. I enjoyed the new flavors but had not yet developed a taste for intense flavors. My brother-in-law moved to my area a year ago, and over time we have moved on to IPA's, double browns, imperials, and most recently barley wines.

I am not a fan of drunkeness anymore. With a wife, babies, a demanding job, advancing age (even at 31, I can't do what I did 5 years ago), and religious convictions, I simply don't get drunk anymore. I drink a beer or two most nights, and a few extras throughout the day on some weekends and especially brew days. However, I'm careful to stop when I need to stop.

Cue my story: Last Friday, my BIL brought home three Weyermacher four packs - Barleywine, cask aged barleywine, and their Quad. I hadn't had any of these previously. I also had two Golden Monkey's in the fridge and half a Tap-A-Draft of Milk Stout.

I drank a stout. I drank one each of the Weyermachers. I drank a Tripel. I finished with some random IPA. I've had 5 beers many times in my life, and never had any problems the next day. Those big beers are sneaky, sneaky punks.

I woke up Saturday morning and all I could taste was malt, hops, whiskey from the cask aged beer. Really, really powerful taste. My head throbbed, my heart raced, and I was wiped.

Moral of the story: Drinking six giant beers with intense flavors is in no way close to being equal to six medium mild or medium palate beers. I understand the ABV math, but it didn't register, even over the course of an afternoon and evening, how I would feel the next day. Those flavors do not go away in 6 hours of sleeping. They stay with you all day.

Lesson learned. I feel like I have been welcomed to the dangerous world of delicious big beers. I just brewed my first Tripel and I have an experimental Belgian IIPA to brew this weekend.

Small doses, grasshopper. Small doses.

Word. I'm a big fan of Big Beers. Honestly, it's all I make and almost all I drink. I had a 4% something or other about a week ago and it tasted like pop to me.

I find 2 is a good number and 3 if I'm looking for a drunk. 4 is always too many.

You drank Sam Adam's, Guinness, and New Castle Brown in College? Clearly you did college wrong! HAHA I drank Bush, Miller & Coors. I was perhaps a struggling student then and while not much has changed in terms of fame and fortune, I just can't stomach those beers.

Seriously you hit that right on the head for me. A few years ago I used to save my bottle tops because I was going to make a table with bottle tops and a clear epoxy over the top. I recently moved and found one of those bags. Corona, New Castle Brown, Blue Moon, Lienenkugel and I thought I was a beer snob. I still like blue moon and there is just something about corona but It blows me away about what I thought was good beer then to now. And the whole having a few beers but not getting drunk thing too. It amazes me how much I hate the three times a year I wake up with a hangover. Good post.

The only big beer that I've had that I found dangerously good was Epic's Big Bad Baptist imperial chocolate coffee stout. +11% shouldn't go down that easy.

Indeed. It was a good post. I enjoyed reading your story.

When it comes to high abv beers I usually only drink one. If its more than 10% thats about all I can handle without "feeling" it to much.

The beers I brew are typically 5% to 8% with 8 being a rarity. I would rather have two beers and feel pretty good than one and be forcing myself to finish it.

I agree as I have gotten older I have enjoyed harder alcoholic beverages less and less. Long gone are the days of whisky, but I will still occasionally enjoy a rum and dr. pepper.

IMO barleywines are a bit over rated. Very rarely have I had one that I truly thought was absolutely delicious from beginning to end. Usually by the last couple gulps it ends up having warmed and tasting a bit to boozy for my taste.

Firestone, which is a local brewery for me, does make a few delicious barleywines I must admit.

If I may be so bold, what's wrong with new castle? I understand all the other "bad" beer mentioned, but I have a soft spot for New Castle...

Elkshadow - I still enjoy small beers, but two tripels or quads will make for a good evening. I'm thinking of bottling in 22's and then pouring in small doses throughout the night to encourage true appreciation.

Mikepote - I spent a year out of the country where I couldn't drink not long ago, and the entire time I would wake up and think, "I'm so glad I don't wake up hungover anymore - I'll never do it again". Then I did when I came home. It is never worth it.

Hello - Bud and Miller light were my staples in high school and early on in college. I was fortunate enough to get some incredible scholarships that gave me a huge influx of cash each semester. I spent it on "worthwhile" things, like drinking a case of Sam Adam's or Guinness in one evening, paintball, computers. I'm glad my values and spending habits have changed!

Facinerous - I just brewed an 8-9% Tripel, and I have a big beer on deck, but those will be bottled for low volume consumption :) I'm going to find a hoppy session and maybe and ESB to brew and fill the Tap-A-Drafts up with that. I enjoyed the barleywines I've been drinking, but you're right - at the end of one when it starts getting warm, the appeal is lost.

Tomq04 - Nothing wrong at all with Newcastle! In fact, I'll brew a clone some day. I still love getting a Sam Adam's sampler each season, and Guinness will always be a go-to at places where there isn't anything new to try. I just prefer more prominent flavors these days!

Zwerski - I can't do the things I know I need to do to be a good father, and all of the little endearing noises become instant annoyances. "Special kind of hell" is the perfect description.

Tomq04 - Nothing wrong at all with Newcastle! In fact, I'll brew a clone some day. I still love getting a Sam Adam's sampler each season, and Guinness will always be a go-to at places where there isn't anything new to try. I just prefer more prominent flavors these days!

Newcastle is a blend so you'll have to find both recipes.

"According to Michael Jackson, Newcastle’s brewers blend two very different beers to produce their brown ale. One portion is brewed to a very high gravity so that fermentation creates extremely estery (fruity) notes they cannot achieve at normal beer gravities. That beer is then blended with a low-gravity “amber” beer to produce their standard at an original gravity of 1.045."

BYO Article Source

Newcastle is a blend so you'll have to find both recipes.

"According to Michael Jackson, Newcastle’s brewers blend two very different beers to produce their brown ale. One portion is brewed to a very high gravity so that fermentation creates extremely estery (fruity) notes they cannot achieve at normal beer gravities. That beer is then blended with a low-gravity “amber” beer to produce their standard at an original gravity of 1.045."

BYO Article Source

That actually sounds like a fun technique to play around with in general. Once I get my process for a "normal" beer nailed down, that is...

Having to care for small children while heavily hungover is a special kind of hell.

I have three under three and completely understand. The youngest is 4 months old and only once have my wife and I woke up SUPER hungover and it was basically the worst day of our lives.

Latest posts

Back