Leaky keg help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimdeasy

Reaction score
This keg is leaking in an odd spot. Any tips on how to fix it?

Attachments

• F21BD3F6-C11B-4698-B473-801B90B142DC.jpeg
    F21BD3F6-C11B-4698-B473-801B90B142DC.jpeg
    611.2 KB · Views: 56
or is this about the one random bubble at the upper left? i'm not a bubbler, so couldn't explain that....

It's hard to tell for sure - a video would be more definitive - but to me it looks like the threaded ferrule that the PRV screws into is leaking at the lid interface - ie, the weld around the ferrule has a breach.

But that would be a less frequently occurring failure compared to a leak between the PRV body and the ferrule - which might indeed be resolved by tightening the PRV in ferrule.

If the former is the problem, the three options are replace the lid ($20 from morebeer.com plus s&h), silver solder the breach, or have someone TIG it...

Cheers!

Have you pulled it apart and cleaned it? Most of the PRV are plastic, swap with another and see if it's the plastic valve threads or the metal lid threads. Then swap a lid and repeat. Replace whatever part fails

The correct answer is..take apart, soak in hot water, drink wine in a beer glass and clean parts with a q-tip. Reassemble..should work. If not, order new parts on Amazon. I did both.
cheers -j

Attachments

• 5BDCFF4C-FD19-4112-A265-78894271BFCE.jpeg
    5BDCFF4C-FD19-4112-A265-78894271BFCE.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 28
FWIW, the threads don't seal pressure. Only the o-ring seals pressure. O-rings wear out. Keep spares around, they are cheap, cheaper than leaks. I think the last bag I bought on Amazon was about $9 for 100 of the PRV. (they also fit some poppets)

I had that recently. I replaced the prv and it was fine. Amazon/ferroday sells a four pack of prv for $10

Back