leaky bucket lids help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigtwins

Reaction score
I've got 2 rather new fermenters maybe a total of 10 batches combined. I can't get a air tight seal on either one anymore. I've pulled the seals and cleaned the lid and o ring. When I ferment in them I get no airlock activity. I assume the air is leaking past the seals. Is there anything I can do to help these things seal up tight?

You might try putting on a few layers of tape as a last ditch effect. Is it possible to replace the lids?

Don't even worry about the seal. The nasties only fall. They cannot crawl up under the lid and squeeze through to get to your beer. The only thing missing will be bubbles in your airlock.

I prefer Better Bottles because the stopper seals well, you can see what is happening, there is no lid to wrestle on and off and they are lighter and safer than glass carboys.

I also feel they are easy to clean - even easier than a bucket. Soak in oxyclean. rinse, add some hot water and a washcloth, swirl, rinse some more and done.

Thanks for the advice. I like better bottles too. But the buckets fit better in my ferm fridge. A couple inches shorter. Just was wondering if anyone had the same problems with the buckets?

Hi all..
Im a newb at this and im just going to do my first stout kit in a bucket ( not confident enough to go mashing yet ) . Anyway reading this and a lot of other posts and they all go down the root of open fermentation with the lid just resting on top so guessing this is a safe way BUT.
how do you know when things are ready?
Ive got no hole in my lid so was contemplating as to wether I should cut one or not..
So I guess sealing the bucket isnt a problem but haven't got the experience under my belt to do it that way..
Going to get me a coopers stout this weekend so is it a hole or no hole.
Or
Follow the instructions to the T and hope for the best???
Any advice would MOST appreciated ..
Tia

Is there anything I can do to help these things seal up tight?

Yes. Forget about sealing them and stop relying on an airlock for activity. Instead, get a thermowell for your controller probe and control the temp of the beer rather than teh fridge.

hunter006 said:
Hi all..
Im a newb at this and im just going to do my first stout kit in a bucket ( not confident enough to go mashing yet ) . Anyway reading this and a lot of other posts and they all go down the root of open fermentation with the lid just resting on top so guessing this is a safe way BUT.
how do you know when things are ready?
Ive got no hole in my lid so was contemplating as to wether I should cut one or not..
So I guess sealing the bucket isnt a problem but haven't got the experience under my belt to do it that way..
Going to get me a coopers stout this weekend so is it a hole or no hole.
Or
Follow the instructions to the T and hope for the best???
Any advice would MOST appreciated ..
Tia

You will definitely need some sort of vent in your lid. If it is sealed and fermentation occurs like it should you will build too much pressure up and blow the lid off the bucket expelling all the pressure and a fair amount of your fermenting beer.

Ok brew in lid on ( resting ) with a weight.. Don't realy fancy coming home with a cat floating in it.. figure that might increase the risk of infection.
Only ever done 1 gal airlock brewing.
Coopers stout it is then. My first 5 gal brew.

Ok brew in lid on ( resting ) with a weight.. Don't realy fancy coming home with a cat floating in it..

You keep cats in your ferm fridge?

Edit: Sorry, you aren't the OP who referenced using a fridge.

06.jpg

Dang it, HOLD STILL, I think I counted one of you twice!

I wouldn't even worry about the lack of seal in the lids. One of my fermenter buckets has never shown airlock activity due to a bad seal, but it has produced many gallons of great beer, and no infections.

Back