leaking wine pouch, can still be used?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zurd

Reaction score
Hi all, I bought and received a leaking wine pouch yesterday. I probably lost about 1 liter out of the 5.5 liters that was in it (I haven't calculated precisely yet). I was wondering if I could still brew it? It is supposed to ferment in 23 liters with water, so maybe I could fill it up to only 18 liters or so?

And maybe use a bit less of the agents like chitosan, kieselsol, etc. Anyone tried it before?

That should be fine. Scale the water, sulfite, and sorbate (if applicable)

No need to scale the fining agents or yeast.

Bummer. I would contact the place where you got it and try to get a refund or something. Take photos.

Thanks for the info! I thought so that it could still be reused by just scaling down (except fining agents and yeast). It's going to be a smaller batch but I don't like waste :)

No worry about the refund, they are sending me a complete kit free so I can just use what I have left. First time I'm receiving one that is damaged after many many orders but these things happens.

It's fermenting right now, I only lost one liter out of 7, so only 1/7th, it's not much, I don't think it will make much of a difference. Instead of 23 liters, I made a batch of around 20 liters.

It's a success! I bottled them about a week ago and everyone love it, thanks all for everything, I now know what to do if that ever happens again! :)

Back