Leaking rusted inlet stem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jambafish

Reaction score
I discovered the inlet stem on my regulator was leaking CO2. I've done everything I can to try and get it off. My regulator looks like **** now with all the gouges and scrapes, but the inlet stem seems to be rusted on.

Advice on getting it off or who I might find (auto shop, machine shop) to get it off? The local brew store doesn't have any clue.

Thanks.

My dad was a mechanic and I've seen him remove stuck and rusted connections many times. He would soak the connections with machine oil and let that soak in for as long as possible. If that didn't work it was time for heat. He used a welding torch mostly but I have seen him use a propane tank too. Obviously not around anything flammable. The tank needs to be empty and the valve should be open to prevent any pressure build up. Any seal near the heat will need to be replaced. The trick is situating the work so you can try to unscrew it while/immediately after applying the heat.

Good luck.

You mean the actual CGA nut/nipple? Yeah those can be a ***** to get off. Sometimes there's a little flat right at the end where you can get a wrench on, otherwise you need a pipe wrench.

Thanks guys. I cranked on that thing. I oiled it and cranked some more. So much, in fact, that it actually broke the end off!! Today I'm taking it to a local hardware store to see if they have anything to help with this. God help me that I don't have to purchase a new regulator.

I tried 4 places and the last one finally got it off. Yay! However, I got home and discovered they had cranked on one of the other valves so much that now it leaks. Boo!

jambafish said:
I tried 4 places and the last one finally got it off. Yay! However, I got home and discovered they had cranked on one of the other valves so much that now it leaks. Boo!

Ugh, that sucks...sorry!

Back