Leak in spigot on new brew bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael311

Reaction score
Bummed to discover a leak from the seal of the racking cane of my new SS brew bucket. Wort's been in the bucket for 56 hours.

So rack it to a spare pail? Clean it up and don't worry about it? Reach my hand in there and tighten it? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400897095.604718.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Honestly I don't agree with transfering it two times and even once when fermentation is still going on. I think you could wash your hand and arm real well and try to reach in and tighten it.
I would be much less worried with doing that after I carefully scrubbed my arm clean then I would be moving the beer mid ferment and also risk oxidation. Just my thoughts

- ISM NRP

Honestly I don't agree with transfering it two times and even once when fermentation is still going on. I think you could wash your hand and arm real well and try to reach in and tighten it.
I would be much less worried with doing that after I carefully scrubbed my arm clean then I would be moving the beer mid ferment and also risk oxidation. Just my thoughts

- ISM NRP

Thanks.

I decided to scrub up, sanitize and reach in. I was able to tighten it up a bit so I'm hoping that did the trick. I cleaned up the bottom of the chest freezer and I'll check it in the morning.

Noticed the same issue with m y brew bucket and it took a little bit of tweaking to get it not leaking...emailed ss technologies and they are sending me a new valve, racking arm, and seals for free. Overall i really like the product but it will take a few batches to work out the bugs.

Noticed the same issue with m y brew bucket and it took a little bit of tweaking to get it not leaking...emailed ss technologies and they are sending me a new valve, racking arm, and seals for free. Overall i really like the product but it will take a few batches to work out the bugs.

Maybe I'll do the same thing. I like the bucket but I'm disappointed in the racking arm. It's not a solid fit.

Yeah give them a call they have excellent customer service. They will hook you up. Whenever I had a problem then resolved it perfectly. Good luck

- ISM NRP

Just took an FG reading and the spigot started leaking...if you hand tighten when it's dry it won't leak as I just experimented with it...so sanitize it and let it dry first before assembly otherwise the slippery surface will push out the oring causing it to leak...luckily it was a quick wheat that was spot on for FG so I bottled it after two weeks.

I'm a little wary of fermenters with spigots. One of mine broke two weeks in and leaked, the lost beer wasn't as bad as the mess.

I personally like being able to take samples without having to remove the lid. I'm also looking forward to racking to my bottling bucket without using a siphon.

In my case I just didn't "hand-tighten" the nut enough. It's good now.

Cool. I don't much like opening the lid either. But I had one broken spigot, and a series of infections in fermenters with spigots. We each do what we're comfortable with. I only sample after two or three weeks when prepared to bottle. But twice I've decided to ferment further.

The new seal kit from SS is much firmer than the silicone ones and seals a lot better...no issues now.

I wouldnt have worried about oxygenating at 56 hours and would have transfered to a bucket to get the kit right.
At 56 hours there will still be a lot of fermenting to do, at that stage the yeast are still working on the oxygen we so carefully try to get into our worts, in my opinion a transfer at 56 hours could even perk up the yeast, just like rousing, then the yeast will continue and deal with that additional oxygen along with the remaining sugars.
Biggest issue in this is sanitation, I personally have no doubt that my sanitised buckets and tubing are more sanitry than your hairy arm, even if you have scrubbed it raw !

The new seal kit from SS is much firmer than the silicone ones and seals a lot better...no issues now.

when did the new seal kit come out? I have one of these but have yet use it because it leaked slightly when i did a water test. wasn't convinced that 'hand tightening' was enough to do the trick.

Latest posts

Back