Leaf hop question??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalbrewer

Reaction score
I just received my order of leaf hops and it's my first time using them. I want to dry hop so my question is , is 2 oz of leaf hops equal to 2 oz of pellet hops? The package of leaf hops look like theres more than in a package of pellet hops

ScrewyBrewer said:
I go by whatever the alpha oil % is on either of them but treat the weight the same.

So if I was gonna use 2 oz of a pellet hop I just use 2 oz of a leaf hop then right? That's what I thought but 2 oz of the leaf hops looks like so much more but yeah it still only ways 2 oz

Yeah, figure that the leaf hops have a lot more airspace, so they're going to take up more room, but the amount of oil should still be the same if they weigh the same. I do remember somewhere someone saying that the alpha acids in leaf hops are less available so you have to use a little more when you're bittering, but I don't think that applied to dry-hopping or flavor/aroma additions. Then again, that might be completely wrong!

I have used all three types, leaf, plug and pellets. and an ounce is an ounce. Go by the Alpha Acids %. Personally I prefer leaf.... they just smell better.... but all work.

Latest posts

Back