Galena Substitute for Nugget?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to make a lager from one of my old recipes. I love this stuff, but for the life of me, I can't remember why I chose the hops. Here is the schedule:

0.75 oz. leaf Nugget hops (75 min)
0.50 oz. leaf Crystal hops (45 min)
1.00 oz. leaf Crystal hops (steep)

My Semi-LHBS does not have Nugget hops. I have seen Galena recommended as a substitute. Are they pretty close?

I would love to tell you what it was I liked about Nugget hops, but it was too long ago.

I want to make a lager from one of my old recipes. I love this stuff, but for the life of me, I can't remember why I chose the hops. Here is the schedule:

0.75 oz. leaf Nugget hops (75 min)
0.50 oz. leaf Crystal hops (45 min)
1.00 oz. leaf Crystal hops (steep)

My Semi-LHBS does not have Nugget hops. I have seen Galena recommended as a substitute. Are they pretty close?

I would love to tell you what it was I liked about Nugget hops, but it was too long ago.

You definitely can sub it with Galena. If you're looking for a clean bittering hop i would personally go with Magnum...I've used it in lagers before and had great results.

Thanks for the assistance.

When I used to brew, it seemed like it was commonly accepted that we should buy this or that hop for bittering. Now on the web, I see people saying it doesn't make any difference because the flavors boil out after a few minutes, leaving only bitterness. Is that the commonly-accepted wisdom now?

"after a few minutes" is hyperbole - especially with hops like galena, nugget, and other classic bittering hops that'd knock most people's socks off if used as late additions. But as classic brewing invariably includes a solid 60 minutes of boil, that'd pretty much neuter anything added at T60 :)

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back