Leaf damage, nutrient deficiency, insect damage or both?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanchothe7th

Reaction score
First year grower here, some of my plants, about half of them look like these pics. They were grew from rhizomes except for 2 which were bought as plants from Greatlakeshops. I'm in southern new mexico, they are on the south side of the house. They are drip watered twice a day for 15 minutes, but this problem has been presenting itself since before I set up the drip watering.

I have been using 12-4-8 as fertilizer "scotts rose and bloom". The tallest plant is around 5ft tall. They were in 12" pots until they took and were then transplanted into the ground. (there are walls around them but they are free to grow down and around.

Thanks for your help in advance.
3cpEXba.jpg

nGciG1k.jpg

7eu2rjE.jpg

YWaK4Rv.jpg

YJWyKxJ.jpg

Some look like insect damage, others along the fringe could be weather, where do you live, have you had frost or a sudden drop in temps?

Sent from the Commune

Some look like insect damage, others along the fringe could be weather, where do you live, have you had frost or a sudden drop in temps?

Sent from the Commune

Im in Southern New Mexico. Its been a pretty consistent 85-90 degrees for awhile. We had a good rain a week or so ago but it never got below 70 during the rain.

The holes in the leaves are definitely insects, the crisp edges, not so sure but it's a stress issue due to something.

A drip set up for only 15 minutes doesn't seem like enough water to me in a hot arid environment.

Perhaps run the water for longer periods of time but once a day, maybe an hour or two and see if it clears up.

Sent from the Commune

The holes in the leaves are definitely insects, the crisp edges, not so sure but it's a stress issue due to something.

A drip set up for only 15 minutes doesn't seem like enough water to me in a hot arid environment.

Perhaps run the water for longer periods of time but once a day, maybe an hour or two and see if it clears up.

Sent from the Commune

I was looking and I saw a few bugs around it, one was a weird orangish tiny praying mantis looking thing. no idea. Ill go check the soil here in a bit to see how dry it is. but its been pretty moist since I put some brown mulch bark on top of the soil.

Are there any benefits to using neem oil over say bonide 3 in 1 other than its organic?

Latest posts

Back