Stunted hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmlynch

Reaction score
I planted four rhizomes in the spring and they grew fairly well for a couple/three months before all four stopped growing around the same time (they were all different heights: from about 3 ft to 7 ft tall). They didn't die and they mostly look healthy, except for the Chinook which looks a little rough, but they stopped getting taller. I've never gardened much before but I suspect that the soil wasn't modified enough before I planted and they ran out of nutrients. I fertilized a couple times between planting and now but they're clearly not going to produce any cones this season and I'd like to maximize my chances of making the plants healthier for next year.

Can anyone offer some advice on how to tend these over winter to improve my results next summer? I'm thinking that I should add more nutrients to the soil but I don't want to damage the crowns below ground either. Thanks in advance for any help you might have.

Back