Layering black & tans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowend

Reaction score
I'm a little baffled by this whole layering process for black & tans. The guinness goes on top and floats because it is less dense than the pale ale (I get that part, but have never successfully layered). Supposedly, guinness extra stout doesn't work, but I've heard that draught & extra stout have relatively the same specific gravity. Why wouldn't extra stout work? Somebody please explain. A friend and I have been arguing about this process and I don't believe that it's impossible to layer guinness extra stout.

P;us a bent spoon to do the actual pour will layer it perfectly. We used to be able make shapes and planets and other cool stuff happen in the glass using different gravities and a spoon or a fork. I had a specialty called "War of the Worlds" because I could get a red planet floating in a blue ocean.

I just remembered another one: Bloody Brain. Awesome and a big hit on Halloween

Of course that was 25 years ago when I was a bartender in Atlanta.

But how about a black & tan with guinness extra stout layered on top? Can anyone tell me if that is possible?

like dontman said your best bet would be a spoon or a super accurate and SLOW pour but try a spoon and see for yourself. I have never tried it personally but, in layering terms, a spoon will always help.

P;us a bent spoon to do the actual pour will layer it perfectly. We used to be able make shapes and planets and other cool stuff happen in the glass using different gravities and a spoon or a fork. I had a specialty called "War of the Worlds" because I could get a red planet floating in a blue ocean.

I just remembered another one: Bloody Brain. Awesome and a big hit on Halloween

Of course that was 25 years ago when I was a bartender in Atlanta.

We called 'em a 'brain hemmorhage', poured into a rocks glass using a cherry and grenadine into Bailey's/Caroline's. Totally sickening looking.

Do you think that guinness draught is the easiest to layer because of the nitrogen cartridge inside? Maybe it helps the beer to not sink as far down as it typically would.

We called 'em a 'brain hemmorhage', poured into a rocks glass using a cherry and grenadine into Bailey's/Caroline's. Totally sickening looking.

I mixed up a shot of baileys and a bit of lime juice to really make it curdle.... maybe mix in a hit of godiva to give it a gangrene/decayed appearance.

THEN, you add a little dallop of the curdled flesh mixture to a red shot or some sort (pomegranate schnapps, cherry schnapps, red vodka, whatever).

Truly sickening and awesome

I think there is more to do with a slow gentle poor than gravities. I bet if your poor was good enough you could get a tan and black. I live in the mountains and we can get things called temperature inversions where the valley or plains are actually warmer than the higher elevations because the warm air gets trapped against the mountains.

If there are '80s tenders out there then you'll remember weeks at the beach! Without a doubt the best let's call it social lubricant there was It was a whole event. Find the woman, ask her if would like to spend a week at the beach with you. Line up 7 shots in front of the both of you you and fill in the blanks for what you did on day 1, etc through day7 and finish each day with a shot.Finish the 7th shot with a sex on the beach and the deal is done 98% of the time.

Today, I successfully layered a guinness extra stout on top of another beer. I used a ladle that I held just above the surface of the beer during the pour. I'm very proud of myself. :rockin:

If there are '80s tenders out there then you'll remember weeks at the beach! Without a doubt the best let's call it social lubricant there was It was a whole event. Find the woman, ask her if would like to spend a week at the beach with you. Line up 7 shots in front of the both of you you and fill in the blanks for what you did on day 1, etc through day7 and finish each day with a shot.Finish the 7th shot with a sex on the beach and the deal is done 98% of the time.

You give a woman 7 shots in a row, and that's more than enough to seal the deal in most cases. :tank:

Back