Lawrence, KS water chemistry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone help understand my water report in lawrence, KS. I know it has chloramine, which I can remove with Camden tablets. But it is the mineral content I'm not sure if it's good to use for brewing Ales, IPAs etc.

https://lawrenceks.org/mso/annual-report/

Honest opinion? The ranges given for the important ions, along with the multiple collection dates for each important ion pretty much renders that report useless.

If you must proceed with your tap water then have it tested separately. Although I’d have to warn you that given that you have multiple sources for the water, including a combo of the main sources and ground water wells, that even that sample would really only represent what’s coming out of the tap at that time.

A suggestion might be to use RO/Distilled or have a tap sample tested quarterly and compare the results.

Thank you I have been using distilled water to brew I was trying same myself some money, oh well

Thank you I have been using distilled water to brew I was trying same myself some money, oh well

Think of it has paying a little extra for peace of mind!

Honestly, I’m not one of those people who instantly tells someone to use RO/Distilled, but in your case, I see no way for you to tell in a meaningful and useful way exactly what the composition of your water in your municipality is. Therefore, play it safe and keep working with a blank slate.

Back