Alternative Grain Beer Lawnmower RyePA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onkel_Udo

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S04
Yeast Starter
Prior cake
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 at 68 f
Tasting Notes
Update Later
Second full test of my redneck eBIAB system

6# US Pale
3# Flake Rye
3# Weyer' Munich
6 oz Special B

1 oz Magnum pellets 60 minutes
1 oz Centennial leaf 10 minutes
1 oz Centennial leaf flame-out
2 oz Amarillo leaf dry hop 3 days warm and them keg goes in the fridge with them

Mash at 150'ish

This is an up-sized and a hop variation from a brew I did at the end of winter (or so I thought) on my stove top BIAB set-up. The original stayed cloudy but was such an easy-drinking, refreshing beer it was gone in like 10 days. It comes in at about 4% alcohol and is perfect when lazily working on the race car or mowing the lawn, etc.

I have given up on Amarillo as a flavor hop so went back to my old standby of Centennial but still love the aroma of it as a dry hop.

Will update after I brew it but I expect much the same as the first but hopefully enough finishing time that the 3-gallons being bottled can drop clear.

I like to mix up malted rye with the flaked rye. You get the whole spectrum of rye flavor that way, unless you're only looking for the 'spicy' end of the rye. Maybe lower the Special B a bit; it may be a bit much for a 'Rye PA'.

I like to mix up malted rye with the flaked rye. You get the whole spectrum of rye flavor that way, unless you're only looking for the 'spicy' end of the rye. Maybe lower the Special B a bit; it may be a bit much for a 'Rye PA'.

I will admit not having messed with malted rye because it is always about twice the price at the LHBS but I might try that this time. Since we are only talking maybe a $1.50 total.

I love the flavor Special B gives almost any beer so I know I am heavy handed with it. In this case I actually think will create mostly color (depending on the calculator I am 7 or 8 SRM) with only with only 6 oz on 8 gallons (it is did last time at 4 oz on 5 gallons).

Thanks for the critique!

I had a reading failure, didn't realize it was an 8 gallon batch! Yeah, you'll be fine with the Special B.

Back