Late Random Pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrVertebrae

Reaction score
I fianlly made my first really big boo boo. I had some left over hopped extracts (ale and light classic) which was just enough to brew a nice two gallon batch of, well, I guess ale. I thought I'd experiement by adding a cup of honey. I got it all mixed up and set for pitching and noticed a leaky valve. So I hurriedly switched containers and low and behold, forgot to add yeasties. I just figured this out this morning. So, being in a rush and none too worried as to what I might end up with, I quickly rehydrated a packet of SA-04 and added it along with about 50ml of a left over starter of WLP's Sandiego Super Yeast (090 I think).

It wasn't enough of the Super yeast and the 04 really needed more time to rehydrate. Thus, my shoddy practices but I was running late.

My bet is it'll turn out pretty good. The temp is at 66F for now but I'm betting its up a bit by tonight. Hopefully there'll be a good head of yeast suds when I look.

Yea, it'll be fine. Those yeasts are going to compete a bit- the WLP090 really likes the upper 60's, but I wouldn't take s-04 above 65F ever- I like it more at 63. I'd cool it off, the WLP090 should stay clean at those temps.

Yes, I'd heard about the 04 and temp. Thanks for the reminder. I've used it before. Always read about extreme smells but haven't ever noticed anything but very nice smells of brewing. Mmmm.

Of course once again, ya'll were right and the thing is good. I measured the SG today and it sits at 1.016. It tastes and smells great. I might just start making things u for a while instead of using kits. The calculated OG was 1.083 so the calculated ABV is 8.8%. You can taste the honey coming through as well.

Back