Late honey addition to a braggot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrimBrewer

Reaction score
Brew my first braggot over the weekend. I only added half the honey at flameout to get a OG of 1.065. I also added some Dap and old yeast to the boil. The second batch of honey will take the OG to around 1.086, ABV of 10.3%

I have a few questions, looking for more opinions.
I've googled all of this with most of it being grey and not back and white....like most things brew related :p

1. I did the split honey addition, to retain any honey compounds that could get lost during primary fermentation. Also give the yeast time to start working on a lower OG.

2. Normally, most of my primary fermentation is done 4 to 5 days after pitching the yeast. Should I add the honey then(now) or wait another day or three?

3. Considering that the OG is on the lower side, I don't really have to bother with any more yeast nutrition? It also seem that I didn't have to add at the start since the DME and steep grains will have nutrition.

4. I am not going to pasteurize the honey, just nuke it to get it running. Reason being, there is already a lot of yeast and alcohol that's going to make any wild yeast difficult to start

5. I normally ferment my ales with us-05 below 19c (66f) for the first week before increasing the temp to 22ish (72f). Should I not start increasing the temp a bit, when I add the extra honey?

Let me make this really easy....

Just dump the honey in.

I wouldn't nuke it, you might get it too hot. I pan of hot water is all you really need. You shouldn't even really need to stir it in as the yeast will go down and find it.

I would have added it sooner, but get it in there now before the yeast start to crap out.

The last time I made a braggot I brewed a wheat ale and after two weeks of primary I racked two gallons of it into a carboy with 2 1/2 pounds of honey sitting on the bottom. I only warmed the honey up enough to get it to flow easily.

I added second batch of honey 4 days after pitching. Krausen was starting to drop. Gravity was 1.024, from 1.066.
With second honey its going from 7.6abv% to 10%. Upped the temp and gave it a second shake the next day. Lots of airlock activity. Hoping us-05 will make it all the way!

Back