Last years rhizome, and late plant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarbonTom

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Last year I bought some hop rhizomes, and never planted them since my housing situation was temporary and likely to change. So I just kept them in the fridge, in the sealed package they came in. I totally forgot about them until recently.

Things are more permanent now, so I am wondering if it I can plant them still with any results. I am not expecting any sort of yield, but rather figured it would not hurt to plant them and try to let them establish a bit for next year.

My question is, should I even bother? Or by keeping them refrigerated and sealed did I kill them? Last I checked they were still moist from appearance and some had green sprouts on them. I will have them in hand tonight and will post a picture to see if that changes anything.

If they are viable, is it too late to plant them? Or should I just hold on to them another year and plant on time? I have seen some threads with people planting late and it being okay, but I am wondering what the consensus is. If they made it this long, should I wait?

Should I start them indoors to get a longer growing season out of them? I have an open room with a great deal of direct daylight sun, and high ceilings.

If they are still viable then by all means plant them. You might want to plant them in a pot or some kind of container so you can monitor the watering better until they establish a good root system. Drying out rhizomes will kill them, so just something to keep in mind. Especially this time of year.

Cool! They will be going in my dad's fancy garden which has a drip irrigation system so these will be watered frequently and consistently. Cant wait to see em grow, I hope they are viable!

Looks like I won't be planting the Newport :-/

Definitely either died or got infected. Its really wet.

The Willamette and Chinook look good. The Willamette has some shoots that grew and died. I imagine I can just clip em off. Do you guys think I they look too dry? It turns out they were vacuum sealed in the package.

Should I soak them before planting?

1402960822185.jpg

1402960841270.jpg

1402960862298.jpg

1402960910629.jpg

While is say they don't look great you've got nothing to lose by planting them to see what happens, if they sprout you're golden and if not you've got a few minutes if wasted time and dirty fingernails:)

Sent from the Commune

I would try it you already have them with nothing to loose. I would worry about the vacuum packing ripping the cell structure apart. Keep us posted!

Will do! I also found some straggler rhizomes at a LHBS so I got those too haha. The vacuum sealing isn't super tight so there might be something left in em. Here's to hoping!

Back