Last batch of the year.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewingmich

Reaction score
So a buddy and I decided to make one last big push and put away 60 gallons of cider. I collected about 60 bushel (should get us to 60 gallons right?) So far we are 20 gallons in. Going to ferment 120L with ec-1118 has anyone used this yeast with good results? I also order 3 packs of safcider to test on some smaller 5 gallon batches. Same question there looking for feedback on safcider also.
20181108_183354.jpg

Got through 30 gallons worth so far. Waiting for it to warm up and hoping to pitch tomorrow evening!

Attachments

• 20181113_191618.jpg
    20181113_191618.jpg
    961.1 KB · Views: 63
So a buddy and I decided to make one last big push and put away 60 gallons of cider. I collected about 60 bushel (should get us to 60 gallons right?) So far we are 20 gallons in. Going to ferment 120L with ec-1118 has anyone used this yeast with good results? I also order 3 packs of safcider to test on some smaller 5 gallon batches. Same question there looking for feedback on safcider also. View attachment 597450

I’ve been much happier with EC-1118 than other people I feel. That and D47 are my two favorites from previous years.... we’ll see what some of my beer yeast experiments produce this year. That being said the various cider yeasts (safcider and mangrove jacks and cider house) produces TONS of rhino farts for me last year. If I were to use them again, I’d probably use some yeast nutrient to try to minimize that. Ended up producing good cider, but after some splash racking, and even the copper trick on one particularly sulfury one.

Best of luck the the 60 gallon mega-pressing!!

I’ve used Safcider & Brewers Best Cider House Select many times. Always with nutrients. No farts!

I wonder if it was my juice that was the culprit for the sulfur last year?
Yeast health is usually the culprit causing sulphur aroma and flavor in cider. Cider must does not give the yeast the same nutrition as beer wort. Maybe a nutrient addition 1/3 way through fermentation will help.

It seems to be taking awhile getting going. I boosted my basement temp up to 60 at least for the time being. Hopefully it gets it churning, then I'll slow it down. I rehydrated 6 packs yesterday evening and added them. Still not much of anything happening today. So I dry pitched another pack of yeast and warmed it up a bit.

Fermentation is going great now. Pulled a 16oz bottle out to taste and test. It tastes great so far. Let it carbonate itself and was like a fizzy apple juice but delicious. This is the most apple variety (8 or 9 types) I've had and it's very well rounded, excited to taste it finished out! Side note this is a crazy amount of apples to process by hand and definitely. Need to step up my processing equipment next year

Back