Largest Volume Boiled on the Stovetop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
9 gallons with electric. Got a pretty good boil going, could probably do more.

Here's my trick:

dscn1951q.jpg

Fold the flaps up around the pot then wrap a couple layers around. Getting the foil UNDER the coils is key.

dscn1210g.jpg

^ usually I leave the lid about 1/4 on as well, it helps keep the boil vigorous

2 burners, an upgraded front burner (to a canning element), and foil insulation. I can achieve a boil much more quickly this way.

Personally, I've done 6.5 gallons. If I had a big enough pot, I could maybe do 8, but beyond that would be pushing it. Also as a trick, I use two burners at once, which helps a lot, though it's still slow to boil.

I brew AG in my kitchen with an 8" burner and get 8 gallons from 140 boiling in about 20 minutes. I also made a foil blanket for my kettle(remade about every 6 batches), which helps alot.

I also brew AG in the kitchen and can get 8 gallons boiling if I use a foil under the gas burner and boil with the SS immersion chiller in place the whole time. The IC actually makes a huge difference on my set-up...as an added bonus, the foil is nice in the event of boilovers!

When I was doing BIAB for a long time I was able to boil a full 7.5 gallon pot sitting on two burners (electric). I didn't think of that fancy tin foil thing. That's not a bad idea.

I brew 6.5 to 7 gallons on my gas stove 10 gallon pot over 2 burners takes about 30 min to bring it to a boil and boil off just about 1 gallon an hour.

dscn1210g.jpg

^ usually I leave the lid about 1/4 on as well, it helps keep the boil vigorous

That's AWESOME!!!!

I brew AG in my kitchen with an 8" burner and get 8 gallons from 140 boiling in about 20 minutes. I also made a foil blanket for my kettle(remade about every 6 batches), which helps alot.

Do you have any pics?

E

Back in my condo living days in Washington DC I would do AG batches on the stove-top... At the time I used an 8 gallon kettle and a couple times I had it full to the brim and had to use copious amounts of the boil-over prevention drops to prevent a huge mess... I would guess I had about 7.8 or 7.9 gallons in the 8 gallon kettle. Those were for 90 minute boils, however I got smart and started splitting those big volumes into 2 kettles when necessary.

This all is good to hear, I'm planning on trying BIAB on my stovetop. It has one high output burner that should be enough to handle it, and if not use 2. This will be done in a Blichmann 10g kettle that I don't yet have so I'll have to see how well it straddles 2 burners when I get it.

I boil 5 gallons on the fat burner in less than an hour. Then I move it to share with the back burner so that the steam will exhaust right. I leave the small burner on high and the fat burner on low and the boil works out pretty well.

Back