Largest Brie in the World

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This started taller and less wide, but it collapsed under its own weight. I should have made two cheeses. Instead, I removed this soft cheese from the mold and watched it pancake over 3 or 4 days.

It developed as expected, with the PC mold forming over the exterior in a week. I put it in the fridge for a month and it's nearly perfect, but monstrous. It's nice and soft inside (thicker in the middle, melting closer to the skin. Skin is a little thick, but good. Absolutely no ammonia in this one, presumably because I got it into the colder fridge (from the cheese cave) early, right after the mold formed. Also, this is a very different recipe than previous camemberts I've made.

The size is a bit of an issue as this thing is gonna be difficult to store now that I've cut it. Guess I'll have to eat it all this weekend.

_MG_2470-X3.jpg

_MG_2472-X3.jpg

Brie in France are about that size, somewhat higher and sometimes even larger. They keep form as the inside is much dryer.

Looks very yummy the way it is!
The lack of ammonia is a good sign too.

What's the new recipe?

I followed the brie recipe in Mary Karlin's book. I've made the camembert in there several times and it's come out GREAT when I got it into the cold fridge at the right time. This brie recipe uses thermo- AND mesophillic cultures, and also pennecillium candidum (camemberti) AND geotrichum candidum.

So sad!
I would have baked it. Although it would have been even runnier, the nuttier flavor comes out more.
Dog wasn't impressed either?

Back