Larger Fermenter???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenatibrewer

Reaction score
We just started brewing 10 gallon batches and it is going great. the only problem is that we do not have a large enough fermenter to fit the batch in, so we have to split the batch in half. i am not to excited about that. so the question is what do you guys use in this type of application. your expert opinion would be appreciated!!!! Thanks

Conicals, larger buckets, converted kegs. I'm actually in the same boat right now needing to get something for the larger batches, just not sure what route I'm taking.

These have been brough up as options before. Many LHBS's also carry plastic liners that fit inside garbage cans, large buckets, etc... which might be a bit more cost effective.

I suggest plastic concals from either US Plastics (United States Plastic Corporation ® or Plastic Mart (- Plastic-Mart -)

Picture_0024.jpg

I will chime in:

My brew crew and I make 40-45 gal each batch. Rather than go with one large fermenting vessel we still use sanke kegs (and carboys). It gives us the freedom to use different yeast strains with the same wort, age some longer than others, and it does not tie up one large fermenter when we might want to brew again the next weekend. :rockin:

Remove the spear from a sanke keg and use a #11 one hole stopper with airlock. Cleaning involves 3 scoops oxyclean, soaking for a few days, a cursory scrub with a carboy brush to get the scrum ring off, and inspection with a light and mirror after a good rinsing. If taken care of, they should last a lifetime.

11galym2.jpg

kegfermenterinspectiontsh7.jpg

I am going with the ones listed in THIS THREAD.

Everything that I have read on here says that these, or the Norwesco ones that have a similar design, are better, because the lid screws into the body of the tank, not into a flange that is screwed down to the body of the tank.

thanks for all the feedback! the plastic conical really appeals to me for some reason. i do like the pic above with the conical with the hand built rack. so we will see....

Latest posts

Back