larger batches new equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbuoncri

Reaction score
Hello all,
So far i've stuck with 5 gallon batch sizes and i'm looking to upgrade to larger volume batches. Right now I'm aiming at 15 gallon batches and so I have a sanky keg made into kettle. My question is more about fermenters. What is a good primary fermenter (besides the conical tanks) for 15 gallon size batches? Is a Demi John ok for secondary fermentation?

thanks,

scott

If I'm not mistaken, aren't the 1/2 barrel Sanky kegs only 15.5 gallons in capacity? If so, I don't think trying to boil 15 gallons in it would be a good idea. Not unless you don't mind a big boil over.

John

Sanke kegs are only good for 10 gallon batches. I found old pool filters and converted them to pots and they were free. I just had to pay $30 each to have them welded. The ones I have are 30 gallons which makes anywhere from 10 to 25 gallons of beer.

I'm at the intermediate stage where i'm not mashing yet and usually I make about 3/4th of the volume of wart and then add water.

what do you recomend for 15 gallon brew kettles and fermenters? i would love to find something like those pool filters as my buddy is a welder. do you have any recomendations for finding convertable containers like those?

call all your local pool guys. I am picking one up tomorrow morning for... you guessed it FREE... Thanks Monster Mash for the BITCHEN picts of your system I think I am going to use this one for fermentation. I should be able to do back to back AG 12 gal batches and ferment in this monster.
JJ

Latest posts

Back