Large Yeast Starter Containers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkenmonk

Reaction score
What do people use for large yeast starter containers? Has anyone built a Carlsberg flask out of a small Corny keg?

I mostly brew high gravity beers in 10 gallon sizes. I use a 2L flask and a stir plate for a yeast starter, but that's cutting kind of close to get enough yeast cells. Doing a 2 step starter seems like a pain. I could go up to a 4L flask, but I'm wondering if there's a better way.

Do you boil in the jugs or transfer to them after boiling in a pot? I'm worried about boiling in glass that isn't Pyrex like flasks.

I was hoping to find a way to boil and ferment in the same vessel to reduce risk of contamination.

I guess no one is chiming in with their mini Carlsberg flask concepts. Kai has instructions for building one with a flask (http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Yeast_Propagator). I'm just not that keen on using that large a glass flask (rather use stainless steel) and I think that's the limit of the size glass flask you can buy which probably limits you to 10 gallon batches if you're brewing lagers or high gravity ales.

Ive heard of a lot of people using a one gallon jug for this. Just make sure its got a nice flat bottom. The ones my LHBS sell are perfect, ive just never used one cuz I've never need a starter that my 2L flask couldn't handle.

Edit: Sorrydidn't see the second post here.

Latest posts

Back